Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on 100acres, with maybe half wooded. You know, just farmland. At sunset, I can hear coyotes from 3 directions, yet 3 times with predator call have netted me no sightings of any predator. Bad luck? Am I doing something wrong? I try to be mindful of scent/wind. Helpful hints would be helpful....Thaqnks, Terry

·
Registered
281 Posts
some areas are hard to call in, some coyotes are pretty smart after escaping a set up. some callers will bait an area with roadkill deer or such.

i have never seen a coyote when using a mouth blown call. have tried many times and carry one in my hunting vest just in case. i have killed several coyotes over my johhny stewart record player and my buddies johnny stewart cassette caller. my understanding is the new electronic callers are an improvement over what my buddy and i have.
with that being said, on a wooded area i move around and call quitely. i like my squeeking bird record in the woods, calls a lot of racoons and a bobcat once. in the open areas i put the record player away from me. coyotes come in fast if they think another coyote is getting to the meal ahead of them.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
We never call twice from the same place in any 3-4 month period. If you can hear them, they can hear you. If you called and they didn't come, you can bet they have been educated, either by you or some other caller, and will not come. Possibly never will.

Coyotes are not stupid. They will not forget if someone tricks them once and they get away.

If you are stuck with the one spot, try some different sounds. It might trick them into having a look, but you will get only one chance to fool them with that sound, and then you will have to find another trick.

Calling coyotes successfully is not easy. You will need to be quiet, concealed, and very observant, and you must be calling uneducated coyotes. Good luck.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Try different callers. You never know what they've been educated to. Mouth callers work for me..... I have an electronic caller, but not much experience or luck with it yet.

Also, they will generally circle downwind. Either be set up where you can see downwind, or with some obstacle that forces them to not be able to do that.

Use full camo, a face mask helps. Sit for a bit after you finish calling. Never know what is sneaking in. Lotsa fun.....

Good luck.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the hints. I still have my ladder stands up...Could I hunt from them? Do coyotes look up? I'm guessing bobcats do. I'll try different calls

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
I've always had better luck with the wounded rabbits calls in the morning. and the coyote yelp in the evening.
We use to spend the night calling and had better luck at night but now sleeping makes more sense for me.
good luck

·
Registered
585 Posts
I know of a guy that lets a few lbs of chicken livers sit in the sun for a day or so and uses various yelps and barks while set over them. Does pretty well for himself.

...rank livers also make good channel cat bait.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I generally get old meat from the local grocery store for free or shoot a ground hog, then fillet it. Leave them out, wait until the second 'yote shows up. Walk out your distance so you know the range.

Jerry

·
Banned
502 Posts
I saw tracks in the snow this afternoon, so I will take the rifle out this evening, and wait for Wulie Coyote. I will probably use my M1A with my sniper scope on it. It had a lazer as a part of the scope. You know that little dot they show on TV before the bullet hits the puppy. :)

Jerry

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Here in Missouri, this season's rabbit harvest has seemed quite low. The coyote population also seems kind of high. This might be a good year for me to start coyote hunting :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try turkey hunting, or just carrying a shotgun. I see them when I am turkey hunting and carrying a shotgun which can not reach out to them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I second the turkey hunting. Here where I hunt, calling for turkeys with a box call or pot, seems to do real well for bringing in coyotes. They will make a bee-line for you. Had one come all the way across a 40 acre hayfield on a sprint. Didnt stop till bow range. He was too late by then. Going after coyotes the same way you would for turkeys works here. Decoys and all.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Call vs Bait

Would suggest that you call OR bait. Do not do both. A yote absolutely,positively,knows that the bait is there. Especially if it is a fairly well established baiting area. This will be at the most two weeks. In those two weeks every yote in the area(area ='s probably two miles square)will know exactly where the bait is, given the wind direction has changed several times,and how many and which ones of their buddies are frequenting the bait sight.

Don't call so as to give yourself away. Simply sit and watch. Spend the extra time figuring out the best way to enter AND LEAVE the area that you are watching the bait from. Also the suspected area that they will approach from. This will be usually from downwind. Yotes want to see if bait is available,what kind,AND(big and) how many of their buddies could possibly be already there or off to the side just watching the area. If a big dominant male is already there the smaller yotes do not want to come charging in and possibly have their butz kicked. I have actually witnessed this.

If more than one yote comes in, first shot should be on the dominant one,or the biggest one. Also, this is why I am an advocate for the simi-auto for yotes. I have killed doubles and on a few occasions triples using an AR. The boom and the action cycling is all one noise. Another fast shot on the remaining yote(s) is sometimes possible. After the first shot,try cycling a bolt action or a pump action. IMPOSSIBLE !!

Would recommend a AR,chambered in .223(if the pelt matters),with a bullet of the 50-52gr variety,driven as fast as possible. Always a COM hit. If a good solid hit on the first yote the others will sometimes run a circle and stop to look back. If they are heading for the next county....bark. Make several loud barking sounds,but be EXTREMELY ready to shoot. If the fleeing yotes stop,it will be only for 2 or 3 seconds.

Bait with anything. Not only meat products but vegetables and citrus products. They love bread so visit the day old bread store. I once got a call from someone that knew I was baiting yotes. They had just had a huge family reunion and saved me all the lobster shells. I took 4,5gal buckets out to a field that I was baiting and ended up killing 5 or 6 yotes over that pile of lobster shells. I also found reddish colored lobster shells in the coyote droppings for the next few weeks.

Baitin' yotes is great,have fun with it. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
If calling from the tree stand dont use too much volume. The sound will carry much better depending on how high you will be.

Crawl up the stand as quiet as possible, wait 15 min and then call quite softly for the close in dogs. If no response bump the vol some.

·
Registered
112 Posts
you could also try and wait say 15 min in silence after you get to your stand ;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They didn't answer to any calling, but I still see them mousing in the the hay mows. Now I've got dogs stalking my deer, I fear for my fawns. Gun loaded, eyes open...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have found that on call shy Coyotes one of the best ways to lure them in is with a bulb type mouse squeaker. Believe it or not but Coyotes can hear a mouse squeaker from a lot farther away than I ever thought possible.

Of the 7 Coyotes I called in last year I called in 5 of them with nothing more than a mouse squeaker.

Larry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts