Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Careful...But --->

I believe that call is one of the newer ones from FoxPro. To answer your question directly,I do not own one nor do I know anyone that owns one.

I have,although, owned A FoxPro digital caller for some time now. It has no remote and came from the manufacturer pre-programed with 16 different calls,specified by me. It is so small and light that I can put in my mil-spec bellows pants pocket. It has performed extremely well for me in some of the most extreme conditions possible.

While guiding in Maine I went thru some of the Johnny Stewart type calls that have a tape or a disc turned by a motor. Problem was, the cold(darned cold!)temps that I dealt with during the night hunting season(Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr) in Maine. Any motor will freeze up and the battery drain was ultra quick. The "no moving parts" digital was the way to go. Now,some 9 years old,the little caller still works perfectly.

The Spitfire is new...BUT...I feel that FoxPro has there callers down to a "fine science". Technology has advanced rapidly,but so has the company. I do know, and have hunted with several others that have the newer FoxPro model,remote callers. The distances that the remote is advertised to work at is even further than advertised,the sounds are real/natural,the volume is ultra loud(although mostly not needed),and their units are still built super sturdy.

It would surely be best if you could find someone that owns and has actively used the model you are considering. But....I have been told that FoxPro has an excellent "fix it and return it,quickly" policy.

If you have a Bass Pro Shop or a Cabella's near you,take a look there. They carry a fairly extensive line of FoxPro products. You might get a chance to eyeball one at their stores.

Let us(me) know how the caller works if you acquire one. -----pruhdlr

·
Inactive account
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the spitfire and it is the cheapest model from fox pro you can get with remote. I called in my first dog with the new caller a few days ago.

I have a few custom closed reeds hand calls and a johnny steward lildog open reed. With hand calls I noticed they will come right to you and it's hard to get your gun up with out getting busted. I also wear myself out sometimes blowing on those calls.

With the Electronic callers set 50 yards away the dog go's to the caller and gives the hunter a chance to get ready.

this yote had his nose touching the speaker when i shot him he came in running to the lucky bird distress.You can see blood on the caller to that came from him. rifle tikka /223 50gr Vmax bullet

·
Banned
415 Posts
Yup...as Deadbait said, they come right up to you. I've had coyotes looking at me less than 40 yards away before (with me not even in camo!), and they still keep comming in even after I reposition myself to get a shot off! Actually, I've had this happen many, many times...and it never fails to amaze me!

·
Inactive account
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup...as Deadbait said, they come right up to you. I've had coyotes looking at me less than 40 yards away before (with me not even in camo!), and they still keep comming in even after I reposition myself to get a shot off! Actually, I've had this happen many, many times...and it never fails to amaze me!
And when that happens you have to act like a statue and hope they see your decoy or turn to walk away.One time a flock of geese flew over the yote he looked up and that's when I brought up my 243 and shot him at 60 yards.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
With A Remote.......

.......always use a visual decoy. Something as simple as a stick with a piece of brown or tan material attached to it will do. The lighter the better so it will move in the wind. This completes the setup. They come in looking at the call and the visual aid keeps them locked up on "other than you".

To me the big plus for a remote is that it is completely hands free. Many times hunting with a buddy,we turn on the caller and in lass than a minute a yote is standing there looking at the setup. If your ready to shoot,he's pretty much dead. If you got to put down something,then pick up something,it's kinda iffy

I was once told by a Maine state wildlife biologist,when your callin',a yote can tell where the sound is coming from to within 10 square yards....at a half a mile. This I believe,seeing how many yotes I have called in that were looking directly at me.

When calling in Maine,I always positioned myself about 50yds from the shooter. This presents another problem,in that it is hard to communicate with the shooter. Lots of times I saw the yote,but to get the shooter to see him was a different story.

When using a remote with a buddy,we sit back to back and each scan 180deg. Communication is a whisper and we already have our weapons up on shooting sticks unless we are using shotguns. ----pruhdlr

·
Banned
415 Posts
There's a key point there too...I find that probably about 30% of the time, if a coyote is comming in, he's there well within the minute. A determined coyote covers range ridiculously fast. I once had a coyote about 170 yards away, who dissapeared into a stand on wheat, and I lost sight of him. I blew on the call again, and probably within 10 or 12 seconds he was not 30 yards away from me, and beginning to circle. Needles to say, he never made it.

As you mentioned as well, about a coyote's ability to locate. I can't count the number of time when I've set up on a bit of a bluff or rive bank, and been able to see for quite some distance below...sometimes over 700 yards. If I'm done my series, I sit back and give it 2-3 minutes before I start again. Quite often that coyote you saw 700 yards out still knows where to run to, even after 2 minutes of silence. Truly amazing, especially when you're only doing a good hard mouse squeek!

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
One Mo time

Allow me to add.....I just received a flyer from Cabela's and the SpitFire was offered for $199.99. If anyone decides on this, check with Cabela's further. They will usually have something in the works to allow you $15-$25 off with a purchase of $150 or more. ----pruhdlr

·
Inactive account
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Something to add .I hear some people just put a large feather on a stick and it blows in the breeze.
Makes since of coyotes knowing where the sound is coming from.. have you seen them mousing in a field those ears move like satellite dishes LOL.

This is good we can talk about hand calling electronic calling with out someone saying we are cheating if we don't use a hand call. I seen thin happen on another site just recent

·
Banned
415 Posts
Do you guys know of those little Santa's (maybe 14" tall or so), so that play music and dance? The wiggle and turn around gyrate their hips...I've always wanted to take one of those, rip that speaker out, and cover the santa with a white or gray sock to use as a decoy....

I haven't been able to find one of those Santa's since I had that idea though!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
That is hilarious. I think it would work if you put a turkey decoy on top. My wife had a coyote nearly steal her turkey decoy last spring......

·
Inactive account
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not funny at all. The idea that anyone would use Santa as a decoy is absolutely disgusting.

I sure hope no 4 year olds are reading this forum. Shame on you for even suggesting such ...... blasphemy.
you must be joking.4 year olds can't read LMAO :D
Santa with a fur coat and feathers on his head hum might work.

I have read some people making one out of a weasel ball.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
I took it to replace the "santa" looking part with the turkey decoy. Oh well.... :rolleyes:

I'd just tell the kids I was defending Santa from that mean 'ol coyote!!!! :p :p :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.