Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link

I thought it was a decent read. Even though Mr. Boddington likes his .264 Win Mag, he seems to be more of a follower of Elmer Keith most of the time and I always associated Mr. Keith with heavy recoil ;) He does have some good warnings in there, though... the possibility of detached retinas sounds pretty nasty.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
good read.. i met my match with a light mossburg pump 12 ga.. an mag shell..
felt like somebody hit me in the shoulder with a sledge hammer..
so it don t take extic guns to give me too much recoil..
i use to box ..never been knocked out.. but that was because i never got hit right by the punch i didn t know [for a slit second] was coming..
this magnum,, light mossberg ,,combo,,really surprised me.. i just didn t see it coming..
i was actually mean enough to let a few others try it ,,until i just about lost a good friend over it.. he didn t think it was a bit funny.lesson learned on my pt..
now i use a limb saver with any 06 or shotgun i shoot.. stupid not to solve a problem,thats so easily solved..,,at least for me..jmo slim

·
Banned
397 Posts
Elmer Keith wouldn't use a .264 to shoot sparrows. He
was a big gun, heavy bullet guy. I met him at a few
shows. He didn't like light bullets at high velocities.

Zeke

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 10 Ga. blunderbuss that I built from scratch no kit gun I made the barrel , hand carved the stalk and blacksmithed all of the hardware. I use to go to the mountain man camps and they had a stake shoot that was bring what you have. I would load the blunderbuss up with 80 grains of 2F and (2) .760 balls with my moccasins on I would slide back a full step I ended up being a crowd gatherer. When the leaders of the camp found out I loaded the gun with 2 balls they banned me from shooting it at the camps. I forgot to mention I live in COMMUNIST California. Most of the members tried to explain the the leaders that a single charge and double ball was only a 1/2 proof test and that it was safe to shoot. I stopped going to the camps at that time. I do like the heavy hitters.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have had a 458 Win Mag of one type or another for 30 years. Always liked the big ones, have a 375 H&H and 10 Ga. double also. You do have to be careful of recoil. The 10 Ga doubled on me one day with 3 1/2" steel shells. I held on to it and stayed on my feet but I knew it went off. No damage.

About 4 years ago the wife and kids were gone so I grabbed the 458 and headed to shoot, fired about 30 rounds, had a great time. Four days later I had the same opportunity and did the same thing. My right forearm ached, fingers went numb on the right hand. Finally the pain in my forearm was intense enough to require DR visit. He was interested to say the least in how I did it. Turns out I damaged a nerve in my shoulder, thus the pain and numbness in my arm. Said they could do surgery or his recommendation was to lay off shooting for awhile, gave me some strong meds for pain so I could sleep. It took 3 months to subside. He still asks me if I am shooting everytime I see him.

I know there are times when one shot and I know I should quit, the muscles just aren't right for heavy recoil. Other times I can shoot like I want. The point is, it is cumulative, you can hurt yourself, so be careful. Develop good form, stop when you should.

Don

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have never been recoil sensitive, but as I get older I enjoy shooting the big boomers less and less.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have never been recoil sensitive, but as I get older I enjoy shooting the big boomers less and less.
I agree, that is why I have moved to Weatherby stock, they do make a real difference. I shot my friends Weatherby Mark V in 340Wby and it kick just a tad less than did my 338Win Mag in a straight stocked Ruger Mk II. Also, I make dead sure that when I am at the bench I sit straight up with proper technique of holding the rifle an never lean in at the bench. Proper form will help a great deal. Also, I do not shoot as many rounds as I use to when going to the range like I did when I was younger. I also take more time between shots not only for the care of my barrel but for the care of my shoulder and eyes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
A buddy of mine came around with a 460 Weatherby once and asked if we wanted to shoot it. Both my sons stepped up to the plate but I declined. The next day we were framing an addition and I was the only one who could swing a hammer without a tear in my eye.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I could shoot my Blunderbuss 10 shots a day if I exceeded that I would bruise my shoulder. I let friends shoot it and they could last about 5 shots and they were done. The next day they would be bruised.

Big Guns are not for the faint at hart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts