Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put a crescent shaped butt plate on a Marlin 1894 Cowboy. I know you can get reproductions with crescent shaped butt plates, but they're for Winchesters or other top ejecting lever guns. I like the side ejection of the Marlin plus I think its a nice looking weapon with the Octogon barrel. The crescent shaped butt would give it a more Old West look...in my opinion.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Are you aware that the crecent shaped buttplates as seen on the old muzzleloaders and lever guns were never meant to be fired from the shoulder? The cresent shape was designed to be fired from the area of the upper arm between the bicep and the shoulder joint. Works well with light recoiling muzzleloaders but I would hesitate to try it with a modern "kicker".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old Jim:
That's interesting. I didn't know that, not that I know that much. Did you read or hear about that somewhere? If it was some article or something, could you let me know where I may be able to find it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Local gunsmith that specializes in making muzzleloaders laid that on me. If you try it, it makes sense. I tired it with my .50 CVA with the 275 maxiball and 100 grs of Pyrodex. Was much more comfortable that the shoulder hold.

·
Registered
357 Posts
URL

Pastor Dave that link did not work. Is there another way to find thos folks? My search didn't turn up anything. I have an '86 Win I would like a replacement buttstock for. Thanks. 'dito:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts