Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a Redding Profile Crimp Die for my 45 LC 5 Shot Pistol, and I was wondering if I should get one for My Ruger #1 45-70 or get the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

5 Shot

·
Registered
512 Posts
:D 5shot, I've had great luck using the Lee factory crimp die. It makes a perfect crimp on the 45-70 and 45-90 cartridges.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my 45/70 jacketed loads I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die but,on my cast bullets I crimp with my bullet seating die in the crimp groove.On a cast bullet with a groove I see no need to use the crimp die.If you are not careful you can damage a cast bullet with the crimp die.I also think it might be easier on cases to crimp with the seating die.I hope this helps. Good luck Jeff Taylor.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
crimping 45/70 cases

I only shoot cast bullets in my 45/70.
I bell the case mouths and lightly crimp,after seating the bullet. The Redding taper crimp is just right for this.
Frank

·
Registered
39 Posts
5 Shot, since you ask the question about crimping in a Ruger #1....

Since it's a single shot you have no worries about recoil affecting the bullets in a magazine, you may find you don't need to crimp at all. I shoot the .45/70 in an Encore and don't crimp. I only make sure the case gets straightened.

Why work the brass more than you need to?

·
Banned
3 Posts
45-70 crimp

I do what BrianK does also. Why force a bullet to scrape past a crimp that is not neded. I suppose if you are using heavy charges a crimp might be good so as to hold the bullet in place and give the powder a chance to light up a bit. Good Shooting!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts