Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. This is my first post, and am glad to not be a lurker anymore!

I have a problem crimping the Hornady 45-70 brass. They are too short after trimming them to 2.035 which was the best size since only 6 were SHORTER than that AFTER sizing a box of fired Leverlution.
Am I better off just buying 100 Starline cases and ditching the Hornady stuff? I would have thought that there would be that much adjustment in a die.

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert on the mushtip loads, but my understanding is that the commercial loads have shorter brass because of the longer overall length of loaded pointed bullets. I think the fix was to use a Lee factory crimp die, or as you suggested, if you are going to be using standard bullets, to just buy longer brass. If you are going to load the pointed bullets in a lever action you will probably need the shorter brass to get them to cycle through the action.

milkman

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
If you plan to keep or use that kind of brass a lot, it might be simplest to get the seat/crimp die shortened. You can take it to any vo-tech school and ask them to do it as a project. Teachers often love that kind of real-world challenge for their students. Shorten it by 1/8" and re-chamfer the inner edge. Simple.

·
Banned
484 Posts
I am surprised to see that your die is too long...I have never had one that was even close to that. Trimming the die as Rocky suggested would be a good option. Another way to do it would be the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It is a collet type die and should work well with your short brass.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I have an abundance of the short Hornady Leverevolution 45-70 brass due to several buddies who shoot a lot of it. I have found that the Lee Factory Crimp die works just fine with this brass. I have been using the Hornady short brass with cast bullets and have experienced no problems.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am thinking all you have to do isscrew the
die down a little more.No since wasting your
dollars if you don't have to..I have had some
of the short brass and all I do is make another
adjustment..Simple fix..If you shorten the
die and for any reason you need to return
it they will not replace it for free as normaly
they would...John

·
Super Moderator
13,628 Posts
HFactor,

Welcome to the forum. Rules, if you've been lurking, you already know are to join in and have fun, but read the stickies in the General forum if you are unsure?

I think, between Rocky and Bulletmaker you have the crux of the issue. Can your seater/crimper or, if it is separate, existing crimp die be simply turned down far enough to crimp the shorter case or not? The way to tell is to size the cases, then set an empty one in the press and run the ram all the way up. Then screw the die down until you feel it run into something. Look around the side of the press. It there is still a gap between the die and the shell holder, the die has stopped against the case mouth and you still have room to adjust it down a little to get the degree of crimp you want. If there is no gap, the die has stopped against the shell holder before reaching the case, and you will need to get it trimmed as Rocky described.

If you are using the conventional seater/crimper combination die, whether it needs trimming to crimp the case or not, you will also need to check to see if the seater stem can still back out far enough to seat the bullets correctly with the die turned down far enough to crimp. It probably will, but if it does not, then you can always seat in one step, remove the seater stem, then adjust the die down and crimp as a separate step.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a whole lot for the tips and the welcome too! The Lee die is against the shell holder so there is no way for me to adjust it any further. I considered buying a 45-60 seating/crimp die, but will take mine to one of the machine shops on my route and ask them to shorten the die 7/64 and radius the sides. Seating adj should be fine since I will be loading 300 gr hp's and 350 gr cast.

Anyone have a plinking load around 1000 fps with a 350 cast boolit?

Thanks again for the advice!

Harry D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts