Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pressed lately to eat things I normally wouldn't. And I'll eat most anything.

What I'm curious is What meats, fish, animal proteins etc will or won't you eat and why?
Serious answers please. Trying to get over some aversions, and trying to figure out why I have them in the first place.
Is it taste? Was it Taught? Simply never having had it, Preparation? Texture or smell etc.......
There is a whole planet of food out there. Why do some people love one thing, yet others hate it.......

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
I'll eat anything but menudo, because of the tripe I suppose. I've had fish roe. Not terrible. Puma - very good.

Reactions: Just Plain .22

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll eat anything but menudo, because of the tripe I suppose. I've had fish roe. Not terrible. Puma - very good.
I like the Flavour of menudo, but Hate almost any innards. I usually eat Posole instead. Pork, not tripe. Exactly my point here. I LOVE liver. About the only innards I'll eat. Even coming from a SOUTHERN family the innards usually went to the dogs, got ground into sausage, or ended up being used to bring in Catfish and crawdads...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,915 Posts
Bat soup..... ;)

:p

Reactions: mgrace

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I don't kill or eat any waterfowl or should it be spelled water-foul, wild ducks taste like the bottom of a muddy pond and geese taste like Kentucky bluegrass. Yum! not.
There's diver ducks that do eat the bottom of the pond and any fish they can catch. They do taste bad. Then there's the other ducks that eat grains, grasses, and other things (even acorns) that don't taste like that. Try eating a Wood Duck sometime. No comparison between taste.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
There is quite a list of things I would not eat because I have much better choices. IF I was starving then I would probably eat almost anything, even bat soup. I suppose to a certain extent we have become used to having so much choice we just eat the top choice all the while. Like I do not choose to eat pork, but should I be invied out for a meal and the offering was pork i would eat it happily and say thank you.

It's like my grandmother used to say during the late 40s when she had manged to buy some sweets.
"If you eat them all now, there will be non for tomorrow".

She also used to say the only thing she wasted from a pig was it's squeal.

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
It has been said, "He'll either eat it or roll in it."

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I Never eat raw fish sushi, way to many Parasites, salmon are one of the worse. spend too much time in Alaska treating dog and putting them 'down' with after getting parasites from raw fish diets. mainly muscles and brain effects, after intestinal problems.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If I've shot it I will generally eat it. The exception is ground squirrels and anything showing signs of disease.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
About the only thing I haven't eaten has been prairie dog and coyote. Even tried bobcat, rattle snake and jackrabbit, although I didn't care for 'em would probably eat 'em again if hungry enough.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have eaten and will eat almost anything. I prefer rattle snake to mallard duck, Cougar / Puma is better than any other cat. Venison of any kind is better than beef of any kind. Gear is OK as long as it is handled properly in the field and cooked or smoked. Insect larva is great if you can find enough and snails and slugs are nice. Rabbit are decent and rodents of any kind make a decent stew. Most fish are at least decent. Monkey is a sweet meat - like Puma but with a very different flavor and texture. I like crab with Alaskan King being the best but don't enjoy most shellfish - I'll eat them just don't prefer them.
Never had Armadillo, spiders or scorpions but I have had ants and grasshoppers.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Didn't care for the alley gator I had. But would try it again if someone else cooked it. This had been canned that I had. And i think if batter fried and seasoned I might dig in.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Muskrat/beaver is great roasted.
Squirrel, rabbit(cottontail), pheasant same as muskrat.

Ate possum once at Gramps. I caught it, (un)dressed it, he cooked it. Went across street to their place ate dinner. Dont really remember much about it (12 yo).

Moose better than beef. Ducks are good, mallard. Shot rudys once. Cleaned em up, Mom roasted em and I came in to eat I thought she was cooking FISH. Stuffing was bad but duck not too bad. Stuffing was like sponge and soaked up all fishy juices, I guess.

Yellow (Lake Erie) perch and walleye are best fish.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have eaten armadillo in Florida and alligator and nutria there as well. I ate groundhog in Virginia after my hunting partner, who claimed to be American Indian, fixed it up for us. He was a good hunter, but I could out shoot him.

The best meat I have ever eaten has been Idaho elk. One elk hunt also produced a medium size bear which was very good eating. Idaho pheasant, chukker, and sage grouse are excellent. Chesapeake Bay duck and goose are excellent eating and great fun to hunt. I shot a swan once but lost it and the game warden did not see it. Our host said they were good eating. Virginia whitetails are great eating and I raised a family of girls on venison.

A Maryland snapping turtle was quite good in a stew with vegetables. My father's hired hand was an old farmer and a good cook of all the strange things this young hunter would bring home for us to enjoy together. From him I learned early how to care for and cook squirrels, rabbits and fish.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've tried a lot of things, very few I found objectionable, but dog was one, same for prairie dog. I never tasted coyote or wolf, partly because of the dog experience and also because of their smell when skinned. One look and sniff of the hyena I killed put it in that rare category of things I won't eat. Never too into bugs and larvae, but I have eaten them and they'll generally do in a pinch. I've tried most innards, most not bad, but the texture of lung was quite disagreeable, and the brain I tried was terrible, but I think it was already spoiled, and I never made an effort to try it again, though if served, I reckon I would. I have never tried pancreas. Not a whole lot I can think of other than what I've said that I won't eat, not saying I enjoy it all. I don't really enjoy raw fish, But I have eaten it, and would again if need be not to offend someone. Actually, quite a few things I don't like raw, but when they are cooked a bit, OK (but not dog!).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts