Shooters Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've always been willing to try anything. As far as unusual foods go: snake is my favorite (sweet and tender). I've had dog meet in Singapore, wasn't bad but that particular dish was too spicy for my likes. I was wanting to try racoon from directions out of a book (Varmint Hunters Cookbook) until i started to skin one and the smell reached my nose. Now i have an aversion to raccoons because the stink is horrible, but i still love to hunt those evil little stinkers

·
Banned
531 Posts
A lot of critters named in this 6 month old thread! Most I haven't tried. I'll name just one that I haven't read about, or missed reading about. New England ground hog,... very nice herbivore that needs a long, slow and low temp, fat cook off, but, very tasty!

My preference has always been herbivores, except for fish... I have seen what some carnivores will eat, some of it not much to my liking,... but, if I'm hungry enough,... bring it on!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldn't eat Gulf red snapper BUT I have a tendency to lie:rolleyes::D
Send me all the Gulf red snapper you don't want, please! Lol! It's my favorite salt water fish, probably yours too! Broiled in butter, dash of Tony Crechelles, and dipped in melted butter and lemon....I'm drooling out both sides of my mouth just thinking about it......

·
Registered
26 Posts
My friend Gary has 3 ponds and the snappers are trying to take them over, we kill them whenever they try and cross the 100yards of field between the landscaped pond and the two wild ponds. I've counted over 20 on the bank sunning themselves in the one big pond.
A good number of the waterways around here are loaded with them, we see a few red ear sliders but not many.
When I lived in Mississippi, red ear sliders were a favorite .22 target. It was unbelievable to see so many of lined up on a skinny limb sticking up from a submerged tree. How the **** do they manage to climb out there to bask, on such thin perches? Fire one shot, send the remains flying, and move on to the next snag loaded with them further up the creek.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't kill or eat any waterfowl or should it be spelled water-foul, wild ducks taste like the bottom of a muddy pond and geese taste like Kentucky bluegrass. Yum! not.
Mallard and Green Wing Teal are pretty good but coots and other mud ducks taste like crap. So does pond carp. Buffalo fish, aka Freshwater Drum aka Gasper Goo are far too oily. When I caught these big ,meaty fish, I always offered it to an appreciative poor looking fisherman who was obviously fishing for subsistance. Helped them to feed their families, just not my taste.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I don't care at all for raw worms. I also super-strongly dislike grasshoppers (deep-fried in leftover bacon grease; didn't help). Most organ meats don't taste good to me on their own, but naturally that depends somewhat upon how hungry I am.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Robins ... Daddy told me if I did it again we was going out to the wood shed ...
I believed him and although dad is long gone ... I still refuse to kill and eat Robins .

I shot a crow once and dad made me eat it ... he said you don't kill nothing if you ain't gonna eat it . I never killed another crow either .

Interesting thread ... I enjoyed reading it ... some of you guys are a Hoot !
Gary :)

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
My wife, growing up in the Piney Woods, East Texas, really liked squirrel brains and scrambled eggs. Didn't smooch her for a week. I agree this thread is a good read and very informative. Pardon me whilst I go gargle.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Won't shoot or eat any black bear. When I was a kid, deer hunters could shoot a black bear during deer season if they saw one. My Unc's had a bear, all skinned out, no head, hangin' from the limb of a huge oak tree. Looked like a fat man hangin' there twisting and turning as the wind blew his carcass around.
They had the skinned head in a cage like affair so that only the chick-a-dees could get inside and eat the meat scraps left on the skull. Once that was pretty much done, the skull was boiled and then dipped in a solution of water and bleach.
Nope, that vision of somebodies grandpa hangin' in that tree, by the barn, is still emblazoned in my mind. o_O

·
Registered
621 Posts
You should look at monkey on a spit...
You have to get past the look of a baby on a rotisserie but it is good meat. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't kill or eat any waterfowl or should it be spelled water-foul, wild ducks taste like the bottom of a muddy pond and geese taste like Kentucky bluegrass. Yum! not.
Ditto. Never tasted a duck or goose I liked. Grouse, on the other hand, are prized eating.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I was a board member of a couple of Ducks Unlimited chapters and we teamed up with one of the large fishing tournaments out of Galveston and hosted a "Wild Game" Dinner. It was such a hit that we did it for a number of years. Over that time, I saw just about every imaginable critter. It seemed like some of the cooks pulled out all the stops and tried the wildest stuff imaginable just to "one-up" each other.

I learned to cook a lot of different things when in College and had time to experiment. My Mother hated Geese and told me to NEVER bring another Scaup into the house. Wood Ducks, Teal, and Pintails are about the only ducks that don't require a lot of doctoring to make edible. I later learned to do Scaup and Geese and pretty much any waterfowl by boning them, cutting into strips, marinating (like Fajitas) and grilling. They are actually quite good wrapped in a Tortilla and seasoned up a bit.

I will never touch another Possum, or Raccoon. I am sure many will say they are fine, but I could not get them anywhere close to right. I've eaten Armadillo, and most other Tx Critters. Never Coyote, nor Cats.

This thread was a fun read. Thanks to the OP.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts