Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Crossman 400 that I know to over 50 years old...maybe approaching 60. :D

The pump handle is loose and the internal parts are worn to the point that NO air at all can be pumped.

Anyone know of a place that sells parts for this old model and any help on what I might need to do to get it working?

I have a newer model in .177, but wouldn't mind getting this old .22 working again.

Thanks in advance.

EDITED: I'm an idiot. It is a 1400. I started doing some searches and kept coming up with different results than my rifle and got out the flashlight......1400..NOT 400. Doh...

Crossman 400.jpg

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi JWSmith1959,

I got a Benjamin Pump in 1945. My uncle got it for me after he came back from WW2. At the rear of the action was a cocking piece that you had to pull back to cock the gun. The spring was so strong that I had to carry a pair of plyers in my pocket so I cock it. Great gun.

This may not be your problem but when mine lost pressure it was always the washers on the plunger that slid in the tube. All I had to do was add a little Vaseline to the leather and it would come back. The plunger had a nut at the front to hold the parts of the plunger together. If your plunger has a similar design, you might be able to add new washers.

I hope you get your gun sorted out.

Frank

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tag. Watching.
Looking for a good rebuild shop for two vintage WWII era matching pellet guns.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
About 4 threads down Mac1air gun was recommended. Never used them yet myself. I have a pair of Sheridan Blue Streaks still usable.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi JWSmith1959,

I got a Benjamin Pump in 1945. My uncle got it for me after he came back from WW2. At the rear of the action was a cocking piece that you had to pull back to cock the gun. The spring was so strong that I had to carry a pair of plyers in my pocket so I cock it. Great gun.

This may not be your problem but when mine lost pressure it was always the washers on the plunger that slid in the tube. All I had to do was add a little Vaseline to the leather and it would come back. The plunger had a nut at the front to hold the parts of the plunger together. If your plunger has a similar design, you might be able to add new washers.

I hope you get your gun sorted out.

Frank
This pellet gun has moved with me for years and years. I think it was my Brother's from the 60's and he gave it to me when he was in College (probably because it quit working well). I actually thought it was a Benjamin until I just moved it out of a display cabinet to make room for some cleaning rods. I'll give your suggestions a try and look into 7mm's place for any parts I might need.

I'm not shy about tearing into things, but thought I would ask this sub-forum first as it seems to be pretty active.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey one thing for sure you want info on who can fix or restore your old air gun... The members of this forum will guide you to the fix!! I thought my old Sheridan Blue Streak would need fixing and the members here were quick too steer me to some repair pro's but after some offhand target shooting I decided its good to go. I don't have a chrony but at 20yds and with 8 pumps it rips through both sides of a empty tin can, and that's more than enough for small game. Good luck on getting it working again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Crossman 400 that I know to over 50 years old...maybe approaching 60. :D

The pump handle is loose and the internal parts are worn to the point that NO air at all can be pumped.

Anyone know of a place that sells parts for this old model and any help on what I might need to do to get it working?

I have a newer model in .177, but wouldn't mind getting this old .22 working again.

Thanks in advance.

EDITED: I'm an idiot. It is a 1400. I started doing some searches and kept coming up with different results than my rifle and got out the flashlight......1400..NOT 400. Doh...

View attachment 101399
Try Ron Sauls. I have bought drooper mounts from Tim (Mac-1), but don't know about the rest of their services.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts