Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Being interested in the Swedish Mauser M94 Carbine, I found something quite puzzling. Can someone straighten me out.

I read that the M94 sights start at 300 meters, and go up from there. If you want to shoot at a 100 yards, you have to aim down about 10 inches or change to a higher front blade.

My question is "Why was this rifle designed to shoot at a minimum of 300 meters?" It seems to me that in combat you want to shoot at a closer target, and why do it on a carbine? I can sort of understand it for a longer M96. Is the fact I read wrong or is there some other explanation?

Thanks for your time,

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
oldteche,

Welcome to the Forum; I see this is your first post.

You ask a very good question about 300 meter Battle Sight setting. Military "Intelligence" may play a part. As a serious military arms collector, I think your M94 sights were so regulated because Europe had not had a war for a century and the introduction of smokeless powder, higher muzzle velocities and military planning for long range volley fire played a part.

In WWI, ALL battle rifles were set for 200, 300 or 400 yards. The conscript armies were advised to "aim for the enemy soldier's belt buckle" and thus the "hold under" at closer ranges was compensated for in that engagement.

Hope this helps.

Webley

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your explanation. It helps. Was the M94 carbine capable of shooting 300 meters accurately?

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
oldteche,

Assuming you have a serviceable carbine and good ammunition, yes, it will shoot accurately 300 meters and beyond.

Webley

1 - 4 of 4 Posts