Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Newest m70 I have is probably 25- 30 years + old , featherweight, classic claw extractor, 6.5 swede

It is very accurate at 200, 100 yards

Got several pre 64s too

How is the accuracy and quality of the current m70 production ? ? ? ❓

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
P.S.
I was also looking at the new production caliber selection

What ever happened to the 338-08 0r 338-06 . Wasnt that in production for awhile? Maybe it was just a wild cat

Might get another 308, 'cept I notice you cant get it in a 24" barrel

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just before all the covid crap started the local shop was trying to sell me a super grade in 30-06. I wasn't impressed. The bolt did not move smoothly along the raceways and the feel of operating the bolt left the impression of a lot of machining marks that were not smoothed away. Maybe would've considered it for a $500 gun but not in excess of $1k.
The 338 Federal is still around but may be sinking fast and the 338-06 was (I think) only chambered in Weatherby and A-Square guns from the factory. I rebarreled a Savage to 338-06 and must say in that gun with that plastic stock it will kill on both ends.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The FN Winchesters I have seen seem to be of qood quality-better than the Winchesters just before they were sold. I would have no concerns buying one.

P,S, How many GSP's? We used to have 7, down to 3, 1 ticked, 1 solid liver, 1 jet black.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I own two new Winchesters . One an Extreme weather stainless , the others a featherweight stainless. Both shoot quite well . The claw extractor is a significant plus for me. . Super smooth with a good adjustable trigger.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The FN Winchesters I have seen seem to be of qood quality-better than the Winchesters just before they were sold. I would have no concerns buying one.
Is winchester still owned by FN ? .............Wasnt it 2006 when FN became owners

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,165 Posts
Is winchester still owned by FN ?
The "Winchester" brand firearms name, is still owned by Olin. All the manufacturing and usage of those names, Is done under license by two of Herstal's brands; Browning and FN. Yes, that agreement happened in 2006.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Buy a Sako.

I'd buy a Sauer 100 before I'd buy a Winchester.
I own both the Sauer 100 and several M70s. I prefer the Winchester M70. But then again, I like Ford trucks too...you may prefer Chevy or Dodge.

Of the six newer FNH M70s I've purchased, all were great shooters. All were nicely finished and some that I've purchased recently have wood to die for.

My opinion is that a new M70 SG is every bit as nice as a Sako M85 at 6- $700 less. I own 3 Sako M85s, a SS Hunter in .308, a Classic in 30/06 and. Kodiak in .338WM

But everyone likes what they likes. There's nothing wrong with that.

IMG_20200731_132624702~2.jpg IMG_20200731_132624702~3.jpg IMG_20200731_132624702~4.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own both the Sauer 100 and several M70s. I prefer the Winchester M70. But then again, I like Ford trucks too...you may prefer Chevy or Dodge.

Of the six newer FNH M70s I've purchased, all were great shooters. All were nicely finished and some that I've purchased recently have wood to die for.

My opinion is that a new M70 SG is every bit as nice as a Sako M85 at 6- $700 less. I own 3 Sako M85s, a SS Hunter in .308, a Classic in 30/06 and. Kodiak in .338WM

But everyone likes what they likes. There's nothing wrong with that.

View attachment 101137 View attachment 101133 View attachment 101134
I especially like your curly maple ones. Have a Marlin 336C 30-30 in curly maple. Beautiful! Those are maple, right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sauer ?

I got your Sauser.... JP ....

and a

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I especially like your curly maple ones. Have a Marlin 336C 30-30 in curly maple. Beautiful! Those are maple, right?
Thanks, and yes, maple. I looked for a good while to find that amount of figure in the two light maple & blue guns. Both have fiddleback throughout the entire length of the stock on both sides.

To be honest, I may even like the dark maple and SS look even better. It too has very nice figure.

Reactions: fxdwgpig

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,809 Posts
I'll see that maple-stocked Marlin and raise you mesquite ;)

Never saw a maple stock on a Marlin from the factory; would have been all over that for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
They just started shipping maple stocked Marlins before they went kaput. I saw one at the LGS. They looked pretty sharp. Not sure if it is still there or not.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
They just started shipping maple stocked Marlins before they went kaput.
Maybe a hallucination, but I thought I saw something where Ruger picked Marlin up recently. ??

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,837 Posts
True, TMan - Ruger cherrypicked Marlin out of the Remington bankruptcy / liquidation in the courts today. Ruger engineers and management are busy figuring out manufacturing details, I suppose and it might be a while before the end product is announced and marketed.
However, we're drifting off topic here. The OP asked about Win M70's.

Reactions: TMan
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.