Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as some of you have seen recently, I've been on the lookout for a new gun. A .204 on a semi-auto platform, specifically. Well, these things just don't exist. Remington has one, but it's not legal for hunting in Canada due to its military-style appearance.

This kind of leaves me with three options.

1) Volquatsons Semi-Auto .204. We're talking over $3200 CND for this pup...they do guarantee sub 1/2" grouping at 100 yards, but methinks the coyotes won't know any better.

2)Build it myself. I don't really know if this is an option or not? I've never built a rifle before. I've got plenty of "backyard" gunsmith experience, I can do some machining, and I'm proficient with woodworking. I don't mind tackling projects and giving them an honest go. Any thoughts there?

3)Get a custom rifle built for me. Two potential problems here. First of all, it appears to be quite difficult to find somebody to build on a semi-auto platform. Secondly, seems like most place I look, I am again looking at $2500+ CND.

I'd be interested to hear what the general consensus of the "forumians" would be.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
So, as some of you have seen recently, I've been on the lookout for a new gun. A .204 on a semi-auto platform, specifically. Well, these things just don't exist. Remington has one, but it's not legal for hunting in Canada due to its military-style appearance.

This kind of leaves me with three options.

1) Volquatsons Semi-Auto .204. We're talking over $3200 CND for this pup...they do guarantee sub 1/2" grouping at 100 yards, but methinks the coyotes won't know any better.

2)Build it myself. I don't really know if this is an option or not? I've never built a rifle before. I've got plenty of "backyard" gunsmith experience, I can do some machining, and I'm proficient with woodworking. I don't mind tackling projects and giving them an honest go. Any thoughts there?

3)Get a custom rifle built for me. Two potential problems here. First of all, it appears to be quite difficult to find somebody to build on a semi-auto platform. Secondly, seems like most place I look, I am again looking at $2500+ CND.

I'd be interested to hear what the general consensus of the "forumians" would be.
Well, since you asked:

Why on earth do you want a center-fire cartridge, capable of fine, long-range accuracy, on a semi-auto platform? Why not simplify the whole process and get a single-shot or bolt-action that will typically offer superior accuracy? What kind of shooting would you be interested in, with that particular cartridge, that you would benefit from a semi-auto action? So, my answer is to spend a lot less money and buy a gun that will perform better, even if it is at a reasonable rate of fire. :)

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Why not simply re-barrel a Ruger Ranch rifle or mini-14? Don't the 223 and 204 share the same head size?

·
Registered
817 Posts
You can get an AR-15 upper chambered in 204. So if you don't have an AR-15 already you can get a dressed lower and then buy any upper you like and just pin it in. Or you can buy a full rifle in 204. Lots of guys are using ARs for varmint hunting these days and getting some really good accuracy. I bought a 20" 223 varmint upper from White Oak Armament. I believe they offer this same upper in a 204. One more good thing about the AR is you can easily convert it to other calibers for other types of hunting or shooting such as 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, 450 Beouwolf, 458 Socom, 22lr, and the list goes on and on. See you do have lots of options in 204 chambered semi-auto.:)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, since you asked:

Why on earth do you want a center-fire cartridge, capable of fine, long-range accuracy, on a semi-auto platform? Why not simplify the whole process and get a single-shot or bolt-action that will typically offer superior accuracy? What kind of shooting would you be interested in, with that particular cartridge, that you would benefit from a semi-auto action? So, my answer is to spend a lot less money and buy a gun that will perform better, even if it is at a reasonable rate of fire. :)
There are advantages in hunting with a semi auto rife. Maybe we can discuss them some other day in a different thread.

RJ, I don't think Canada allows ANYTHING that resembles an assault rife. I hope we never expirience that. keep your fingers crossed and pay your dues.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
unless you loaded with money. first see if you can find velocitor ammo. then get a marlin mod 60..
my best has 4-12 scope an it does most small caliber jobs out to 150 yrds or more with precision..once you learn the gun with that ammo..
if it was legal i d have no qualms about taking deer with a neck shot right behind the head shot into the wiring.. good luck slim

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, since you asked:

Well, to answer your question as basically as possible...because I can. :p

The .204 is to be used for varmints, and I'm sure, targets every now and again. The semi-auto is just so darned convenient. Plus, I don't own one, and want to! Besides, though of course, a bolt action or single shot IS inherently more accurate, any decent rifle on any action will be as accurate, if not more accurate than I am anyway. I'm certainly not doing any benchrest shooting with it. Most of these custom builds I'm looking at are guaranteed 1/2" groups at 100 yards...even the semi autos. No need for me to get any tighter a group then that!

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are advantages in hunting with a semi auto rife. Maybe we can discuss them some other day in a different thread.

RJ, I don't think Canada allows ANYTHING that resembles an assault rife. I hope we never expirience that. keep your fingers crossed and pay your dues.
You're right about that! It is legal for me to own an assualt-styled rifle, though it is classed as restricted (which of course requires a firearm liscence one step up from what the average owner/hunter/shooter has). They are not, however, legal to take any type of game with.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not simply re-barrel a Ruger Ranch rifle or mini-14? Don't the 223 and 204 share the same head size?
I'll be completely honest with you...I had never even considered that. I don't really care for the looks of those too awful much, but it may just be an option...

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I'll be completely honest with you...I had never even considered that. I don't really care for the looks of those too awful much, but it may just be an option...
I know there are many ways to make the Rugers into tack driving guns. They don't have that evil "black rifle" look to them and you can even point to the name "Ranch Rifle" if the government types give you any grief.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts