Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow Canadians,

On another forum I belong to, there is talk about getting a run of custom Ruger No. 1's made in .303 British. The problem is there needs to be an order of 200 guns (or some number around there) to make it happen. How many people are interested?

Some options talked about are:
Ruger No. 1 RSI
.303 British
Serial # starting with 1867 (1867 being the year of Confederation)
grey finish (what did the guy call it - french greying or something :confused: )
express sights

This is tentative, and the OP was open so suggestions.

I suppose those in other countries might be able to get one too (the more the merrier), I was just targeting Canadians since I don't see why anyone else would want one.

Support for it on the other forum is overwhelming (25 pages of posts in 5 days :eek: ), but I didn't want anyone left out. If you want the site, shoot me a pm and I'll give you the link (I don't want to cause any problems linking to another forum out in the public :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

It's looking like there won't be any custom options except for maybe a special serial number. It's also looking like it's going to be the No. 1-A, not the RSI like I was hoping.

Another development was that instead of it being a "Canadian Edition" it's more likely going to be a "Commonwealth Edition". This is to accomodate our brothers in Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello fellow Canadians,

On another forum I belong to, there is talk about getting a run of custom Ruger No. 1's made in .303 British.

A No.1 in .303 Brit would be pretty cool, especially in RSI form.

There's a gunsmith near me that specializes in converting old Mausers into sporters. Supposedly his prices are very reasonable and he'll do them in, just about, any caliber you want. I've been tempted to have a Mauser sporter built in .303 I've heard the .303 makes a dandy cast bullet round, too.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
A "Commonwealth Edition" sounds pretty good to me - hope you can get enough commitments to have Ruger make the special run. Maybe they could stamp the barrel with all Commonwealth flags along with the inscription.

A single-shot .303 Brit could be souped up significantly over the standard loading to make one heck of a chambering.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A "Commonwealth Edition" sounds pretty good to me - hope you can get enough commitments to have Ruger make the special run. Maybe they could stamp the barrel with all Commonwealth flags along with the inscription.

A single-shot .303 Brit could be souped up significantly over the standard loading to make one heck of a chambering.
The barrel would be totally full of flags if that was the case. Isn't there issues with residual stress in the barrel from stamping?

I think the idea is great though. I'm very proud to be a part of the Commonwealth. I hope it happens!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
On Ruger forum this is pretty popular, I believe Lipsey's has committed a 50 gun order for those in the States that want one. I'd like to see it happen.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Awesome!

That would be really cool! Who wouldn't want one of those? How would you get one state side?;)

Is MB99 smuggling them through to Montana:eek: I could help in that endevour:rolleyes:LOL

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your interested, Lipseys is keeping 50 like Matt said, so talk to them.

My friend said "Why are you getting one in .303 British if .308 Win is better?"

I didn't have a good response for him, except to say that not everything is about the next high-faluted super-awesome mega-magnum cartridge. He didn't understand.

I'm pretty stoked about it. I've heard that these guns have the potential to bring the .303B back from the dead by getting other manufacturers interested. Not sure if it will, but I'm not going to wait and see -I'm getting one!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would buy one as long as it is not in stainless or laminate like the last couple of "special runs".
Dan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Can you get the stock soaked in cosmoline, and wrapped with copper wire???? :D :D :D Now that would make it fit in milsurp Lee-Enfield.... :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would buy one as long as it is not in stainless or laminate like the last couple of "special runs".
Dan
The final configuration hasn't been decided, but I'll take the liberty of saying it most definatly will not be ss nor laminate. Blued with walnut has been the concenus. Either RSI, 1-S or 1-A.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clay (the guy spearheading the campaign) spoke to Lipseys and/or Ruger at the SHOT show. There is no decision yet, but apparently Ruger likes the idea enough to consider doing either a special run or possibly offering them as a standard chambering.

There is no official word yet.

Since your from the USA, you'll have to contact Lipseys to get one. It might not hurt to shoot Ruger an email to voice your opinion on the subject though. ;)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If your interested, Lipseys is keeping 50 like Matt said, so talk to them.

My friend said "Why are you getting one in .303 British if .308 Win is better?"

I didn't have a good response for him, except to say that not everything is about the next high-faluted super-awesome mega-magnum cartridge. He didn't understand.

I'm pretty stoked about it. I've heard that these guns have the potential to bring the .303B back from the dead by getting other manufacturers interested. Not sure if it will, but I'm not going to wait and see -I'm getting one!
I like rimmed cartridges in a single shot rifle. The 303B is a match for just about any standard 30 cal round. Bullets are available easily for handloading. You could probably up the velocity with handloads so whats not to like? While I like the 308, the main advantage is thats its shorter. Not necessary in a single shot.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Hello fellow Canadians,

On another forum I belong to, there is talk about getting a run of custom Ruger No. 1's made in .303 British. The problem is there needs to be an order of 200 guns (or some number around there) to make it happen. How many people are interested?

Some options talked about are:
Ruger No. 1 RSI
.303 British
Serial # starting with 1867 (1867 being the year of Confederation)
grey finish (what did the guy call it - french greying or something :confused: )
express sights

This is tentative, and the OP was open so suggestions.

I suppose those in other countries might be able to get one too (the more the merrier), I was just targeting Canadians since I don't see why anyone else would want one.

Support for it on the other forum is overwhelming (25 pages of posts in 5 days :eek: ), but I didn't want anyone left out. If you want the site, shoot me a pm and I'll give you the link (I don't want to cause any problems linking to another forum out in the public :rolleyes: ).
Australia , england and SouthAfrica infact most commonwealth countries have a long proud history with the 303.The 303 took tens of thousands of head of deer, pigs, goats etc in OZ and New Zealand post war .

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After I posted that, I got learned of the ways of the British Commonwealth. Not so naive now. :$

Indeed, it has been changed from the "Canadian Edition" to the "Commonwealth Edition" (as per my signature). So others thought of that as well.

I believe there are a couple going to Australia actually. Don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WHOO HOO!!

This is from Clay from Prophet River Firearms, the guy trying to set this up:

"We just received word today that Ruger will make the 1-A in 303 British. They are comitted to it. That's very good news and should be well received here in Canada!!

Now there is a bit of bad news
They haven't given us a timeline yet. Also, if you wanted a different configuration, I guess we are out of luck.
Lastly, these are not an exclusive, they will be 'on the line' which means regulatr pricing but no special serials, etc.

We' are currently very busy with a large shipment and aren't really up for 200+ phone calls right now about the 303's.
To make things as fair as possible and to give everbody time to find out about this, I'll stat taking $400 deposits on Wednesday March 17. First deposits in, will get the first rifles. Please let me know if this is fair? As its a line item, they will be $1199 ($1279.95 with taxes in and shipped anywhere in Canada)

Thanks to all who have called in and made this 'push' possible. Please let as many know as possible as I'm swamped right now and am lacking time to make a bunch of calls "

So it should be available to everyone; those in Australia, SA, Canada, England, USA, etc.

I CAN'T WAIT!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Indeed, it has been changed from the "Canadian Edition" to the "Commonwealth Edition" (as per my signature). So others thought of that as well.

I believe there are a couple going to Australia actually. Don't quote me on that.
You're right mate. It is coming to the land of Oz. Dealers here are already taking orders for the 303 Ruger. They are being snapped up at a rapid rate and we don't know how many have been allocated for Oz.

Terry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts