Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After receiving a request to post some images of Kathy Forester's awesome checking work on my RUGER #1 - .223, I thought I should also show her work on my RUGER "flat Bolt" - .243.

I stock both of these rifles in the early to mid 80s, but it was not until last Summer that they were checkered. The single shot was the safe queen of a friend for close to 20 years until I finally brought it home a bit over a year ago.

Posting some images of the #1 wood, it was suggested that I have the wood checkered and after a suggestion by JBelk that I contact Kathy Forester I began to communicate with Kathy. Early last year (2019) I took the #1 wood to her and at the same time took the bolt action RUGER - 243 with the idea of seeing what she would say, and possibly leaving it to be checkered.

NOW ------------- The checkering on neither rifle Shows the level of her skill! I have seen examples of other work done by Kathy and she can make the pattern just as fancy as you desire.

However, I'd suggest that you not hold too tight a line on her, she is an expert and although she can do the highly fancy patterns, such a pattern may be over kill, meaning more is not always better. Give her some room, ask her advice, she knows what she is doing!

Kathy learned the trade years ago when Kimber was producing the high end .22 rimfires in Oregon, so she has been at awhile.

Anyway, attached are some images of the work she did on my old RUGER.

She did say, after the work was done that the wood was difficult to checker on the .243. I suspect this is because of the full length fiddle back where the grain structure changes every inch or so. Hard or not, Kathy did fine and clean work on both rifles.

The #1 checkering can be seen posted under the single shot rifle topic.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Attachments

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Very nice work! Every once in a while, you can find a deal on a custom rifle made years ago that's being sold. I found a couple nice custom made commercial Mausers like that last summer with beautiful wood. One, done by a gunsmith named Fred Speiser, also has a nicely done flurs de lis pattern, which I'm a huge fan of. The second, done by a fella named Barney Conlin has a more typical point pattern. The wood on both is quite striking.

Attachments

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,815 Posts
Please don't double post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.