Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am saving money now to get a new rifle next year.I would like to have a custom lever made possibly a 375 winchester with a 24in bbl and I just dont know where to start.I would like any help from the knowledgeable people who use this forum to guide me in the right direction.I am also open to suggestions on calibre.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
Shoalbass,
     There is an outfit on the West Coast (Oregon or Wash.) that Ken Waters has mentioned in his articles about the 7-30 Waters and one recently on the 25-35. They rebarrelled a Marlin 336A for him to those calibers. I will dig through the back issues asap and see if I can get a name for you. There is also an outfit here in Idaho that specializes in Scout-type rifles, and they work on leverguns too. Their name is Brockman's, 208-934-5050. You might call and talk over your ideas with them. I don't know if they do the kind of work you're interested in. Good luck!  So long,  ID

·
Registered
254 Posts
For something unique in leverguns, you might try the following site.
www.drccustomgunsights.com/
He has great credentials as well as ideas. A custom gun is not a quick decision.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
Shoalbass,
        I found the article I referred to. The barrelmaker was Siskiyou Gun Works, 405 Kubli Rd., Grants Pass, OR 97527. The gunsmith who fitted the barrel is named Richard Ruggiero, although Ken does not list his address or phone. Hope this is of some help!       ID

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Shoalbass,

When pondering a custom built firearm, the main consideration is what you want. Not need, as there are any number of factory guns that cover any possible need. So it's what you want.

What do you want to do with your one-of-a-kind? Hunt big game? If so, how big and to what distances? Or are you more interested in an old-timey target gun? These are the things to consider first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Read your post about a custom lever gun. I too have had that itch, but after talking CP Donelley at Siskoui Gun works, my interest was tempered.  There is no cheap way to do it.  

If you want to have a 375 win, then just buy the Marlin Cowboy in 38-55. You then can have the best of both worlds since the 375 will work in the Marlin lever gun.
Strickly money wise, you be better off buying the factory gun and having someone do an action job on rather than spending a bunch, I mean a BIG bunch of money, on rebarreling a winchester or marlin to another caliber which then will have a limited resale value relative to your investment.

Given all the above and you still have an itch for a custom rifle, then go for it if you have the bucks.

Snakeoil Willie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snakeoil,I already have anew marlin 38-55,I just wanted somthing different it dont have to be a 375 win just something different from what everybody else has.
  My local gun dealer has an older top eject 30-30 with gold engraving and a 24in bbl that he is trying to sell me ,its just everybody has a 30-30.He does however make custom boltguns on m98 actions.
  I also dont think you can shoot factory 375win in the 38-55 at least from what I have read on this and other forums.Thanks for all the replies I have gotten I really appreciate your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi shoalbass,
After reading about Wild West Guns Co-Pilot conversion in Gun Test magizine, I too got the urge for something different- only on a 'beer' pocketbook!  Instead of spending &#362800, I got my non-takedown 'Co-Pilot'- complete with:  action/trigger job, fiber optic front/ghost ring rear, Pach. Decelerator pad, solid steel Weaver stlye base(silver-soldered to barrel), Burris 2x7 with quick-detachable Wayne rings, for just under &#361200-(including the rifle).  Because I started with a Win. Timber Carbine in the great 444 cal., the barrel was already ported.  Jim Cloward of Seattle was the gunsmith that came highly recommended by the gun shop I bought the rifle through.  (Featured in Precission Shooter a few months back)  Anyway, once you've decided on your cal./rifle style/features, you can many times have a few 'trick' things done to it for a truely unique firearm without the high costs of starting from scratch.  Best Wishes to you!  H&H

1 - 8 of 8 Posts