Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am formulating a data base of custom bullet mould makers and need addresses.  These two men I have seen mentioned several times.

Walt Melander

Rob Applegate

Any information, even a phone or Fax number will be appreciated.

·
Banned
30 Posts
I live a few miles from Bob Applegate and have heard he does not make them any longer. Which would be sad because they were THE most precision molds I have ever seen. He was a amazing gunsmith specializing in really nice lever actions. Think I'll give him a call about the molds.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Jack, I couldn't get that link to work

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Walt Melander is dead. I believe it is his daughter is running NEI Handtools now. Have not heard about any decline in quality.

www.mountainmolds.com

makes a pretty wide range of moulds that could be considered custom/semi-cutsom

Veral's LBT catalog is available at Gaybeards website under the cast bullet section, not true custom moulds..but top notch quality and price.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Dixie Slugs has had molds made by [email protected] Mold and [email protected] Molds. Mountain Molds cut the mold for our 12 & 20 gauge slug/bullets. Victory Mold cut our new Predator II.
Dan has an in-house program for designing your our molds. [email protected] Mold is my favorite. Steve's design for hollow point/hollow base molds is yhe best I have seen.
Many of the NEI molds are oversize based on my findings, However, Walt did cut some great molds for John Anderson for the bullets he had in his line. I have a mold the Walt cut that has the .44-265 gr-Truncated Nose and the .357-180 gr-Truncated cone on it.........James

·
Banned
30 Posts
Alk8944 said:
I am formulating a data base of custom bullet mould makers and need addresses.  These two men I have seen mentioned several times.

Walt Melander

Rob Applegate

Walt died, and Bob no longer makes moulds, so. . . . . . Another good mould maker is Hoch. Although the last one I bought from him took me three years to get after I ordered it. Great mould however. Most accurate .45-70 bullet I've ever shot. The nose pours are the most accurate. His are also a tight grain Meehinite metal, and they are a little slower to cast with. Good shootin' D. Wright

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rob is done making molds as far a custom made molds Dan at mountain molds does them and veral will do them and so will ballistic cast at least if its a variation of one of the designs they have.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can't believe we've gotten this far with no mention of LBT!! I own three of them and have no complaints.

·
Banned
18 Posts
kciH said:
Walt Melander is dead. I believe it is his daughter is running NEI Handtools now. Have not heard about any decline in quality.

www.mountainmolds.com

makes a pretty wide range of moulds that could be considered custom/semi-cutsom

Veral's LBT catalog is available at Gaybeards website under the cast bullet section, not true custom moulds..but top notch quality and price.
Is Veral back in action? Last time I talked to him he was really down in the dumps and had been ripped off by the govmt and his supposed friends.

NEI is good, I got a 4 cavity mould from them for a 180 gr. gas checked .303 Brit bullet last year, and it's top notch. Going to be loading them for my MK1 no.4 here pretty soon.

Amy

·
Registered
27 Posts
D Wright said:
Most accurate .45-70 bullet I've ever shot. The nose pours are the most accurate.
Out of curiosity...which one? Reason I ask...had one of the top BPCR shooters tell to stick with my Lyman when I'd quizzed him about the Hoch..

·
Banned
120 Posts
Alk8944 said:

Walt Melander

Rob Applegate

I have known them both on a limited basis. Mr. Melander has gone to his maker. His company however is still producing moulds here in oregon. Mr. Bob Applegate of whom I have visited several times,and must say his moulds were THE best made I have ever seen, in ALL respects; I say were, because he no langer makes them. I am much sadder for it. He also made some of the best custom lever and single shot guns. Not sure what he's doing now.

·
Banned
120 Posts
quigleysharps said:
Out of curiosity...which one? Reason I ask...had one of the top BPCR shooters tell to stick with my Lyman when I'd quizzed him about the Hoch..
I had Dave Farmer Ownner of Hoch, make a custom one for me. Tell him what you are going to do with it and he will direct you in the right direction. For a perfect fit, he will need the throat dimensions with a cast. The correct diameter for your bore is also needed, rate of twist etc. The most accurate bullet for a rifle has to made for that gun. The base of the bullet is the driving part of the bullet and must be glass smooth and flat for accuracy. The reason the shooter told you to stay with Lyman is so he can beat you in compitition! I have several Lyman moulds and they work OK, but I consider them absolute cheap pieces of Cr$! compared to the quality of my Hoch; although the ones Bob Applegate used to make were THE most precise works of art I have ever, or will ever see. They made you want to put it under glass on display only. I'm sure someone will hammer me for the Lyman comment, but I tell it like I see it. I had a cast bullet company for a few years (Black Lion Bullet Company), and used several mould makers products.
I sold a lot of the Hoch bullets to a BPCR competitor back east that reported it to be THE most accurate bullet he had ever fired. Also there are a lot of junk lubes on the market that do not work well. The hard ones are that way for ease of packaging. I could go on about cast bullets forever, so will stop here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts