Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a custom rifle and do some part of it myself. I want to build a 7mm Shooting Times Western.

If I purchase a Winchester Model 70 or a Remington model 700 action in a 30/06 or 7mm Rem Mag, are those actions long enough to readily accept this caliber. I understand adjusting bolt face and will put a new barrel and trigger on the gun. I just dont want to have to remove a lot of medal to start

I can tell you about my recent error which has resulted in building another custom gun, haha
Thanks
Nathan

·
Registered
614 Posts
The 7mm STW is based on the 8mm Rem. Mag . and won't fit a standard length long action receiver. Yes the 300 Win. Mag and the 7mm Rem. Mag. are housed in a standard long action !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that adds a little to basic acton of this set-up. I was hoping to pick up an old 06 or 7 rem mag which are common,but oh well.

I bought a large ring mauser 98 action and then decided on the 7mm WSM---only to find it was impossible. I love a 7mm rem mag, but that is even difficult with this particular mauser action. vz24. I have decided on a 7mm x 57 mauser---just think it will be a cool gun. Probably a safe route too as this will be a learning process as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
My son in law has a custom built Remington mod 700 in 7mm STW. This is a fine cartridge but the recoil is a little more than I like. The thing burns a lot of powder also. If you are going to shoot factory ammo, you better check the availability and price locally. Good, luck. Nothing like a custom rifle.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My son in law has a custom built Remington mod 700 in 7mm STW. This is a fine cartridge but the recoil is a little more than I like. The thing burns a lot of powder also. If you are going to shoot factory ammo, you better check the availability and price locally. Good, luck. Nothing like a custom rifle.
Yep. It will come back on a fellow some. There's always a trade-off for performance like the STW can give. I liken it to roughly a .300 Weatherby in the recoil department anly maybe a bit quicker impulse. Not hateful at all. But it will get your attention if you let it.

Very true that only the wealthy can afford to feed an STW a steady diet of store-boughten ammo. I learned long ago that if you wanna shoot big guns, you but the dies when you buy the rifle. ;)

You will LOVE the STW!!! It's not hard to load for, really (beware the temperature sensitivity of Reloader 22). And it can do things most mortal cartridges can only dream of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the long action 700's are long enough for the STW.

In a 70 you will need to find an express length action. The .300 Weatherby model 70 is the easiest one (and cheapest one) to find for this project.

Or you could just find a Model 70 already in 7-STW. ;)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=170657208

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=170983895
Ok, I am not being hard-headed---even though I am .
If I purchased a Rem M700 ADL action that had previously been chambered in a 7mm Rem Mag(common around these parts but one of my favorites), I could rechamber it to a 7mm STW?
Again i plan on new barrel, new trig, new stock, bedded, adjusting head-space, and probablly having the whole thing accurized or blueprinted by a gunsmith. I just want something to build this rifle on.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Not to pick an argument , but the 7mm STW has a case length of 2.850" . the same as the 8mm Rem. Mag. which it was derived from 2.850" . Which in turn was derived from the .375 H&H Mag. 2.850" . Has anyone ever seen a .375 H&H in a standard long action . A little homework is always a good idea , disinformation , not so good !

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Ok, I am not being hard-headed---even though I am .
If I purchased a Rem M700 ADL action that had previously been chambered in a 7mm Rem Mag(common around these parts but one of my favorites), I could rechamber it to a 7mm STW?
Again i plan on new barrel, new trig, new stock, bedded, adjusting head-space, and probablly having the whole thing accurized or blueprinted by a gunsmith. I just want something to build this rifle on.

Yes, a Remington Long Action is a Remington Long Action. The 300 Ultra Mag also has a case length of 2.850".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks,
Knowledge is power and I know my options now.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My Dad has a 7mm STW built on a Model 70 Action. The rifle started life out as a 300 Weatherby Magnum, but after it was rebarrelled it became the STW. IT does eat allot of powder, and it you aren't holding on to it, it will kick quite a bit. Awesome cartridle on deer.

Oh and yes, I am also one that believes in buying the dies when you buy the rifle, I like big guns, but I don't like the cost of ammo for them, especially ammo with premium bullets loaded in it.

Hope the STW works out for you.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Not trying to hijack, but would a 8mm Rem Mag necked down to .30, just be a .300 Weatherby minus the double radius shoulder ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a friend that has one made by a gunsmith here in NC called the 300 Burgess---this one is a true monster. I have seen the numbers at it is impressive--groups are impressive as well. His rifle only has a 26 inch barrel plus 2 in brake and he doesnt get all the cartridge has to offer.

(I said only 28" total barrel--had to laugh.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts