Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a .270 win Browning A-Bolt with the Boss system from the mid-90's. It is stainless steel with a synthetic stock.

I looking to replace the barrel to a 24" stainless steel X-bolt barrel, with the muzzle break. Something similar to the X-Bolt Pro Barrel.

Does anyone know where to get this done, where to find the parts, and how much it would cost? I live in southwest Montana.

In addition I would like to put a wood stock on it. I see a few stocks with features I really like, but none have everything I like. The closest I found is the Sako 85 SM. It has a light schnabel, a modern monte carlo butt, and great handle swell. I would like to make something like that with the foregrip pattern as seen on a Montana Rifle Company gun, where it wraps all the way under the front of the stock.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that can do this, or a way I can do it myself. Any pricing info or other knowledge is welcome.

Thanks.
Jon

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
The Browning A Bolt has the reputation for having galled threads on the barrel stubs and some have been ruined in trying to pull the old barrel. To have a barrel removed by cutting and boring could be an expensive proposition.

A pre-fitted wood stock is best gotten from Browning. There may be other sources that I don't know of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JBelk,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I do understand the challenges of this particular model. It is something I have considered and would like to move forward with. I'm currently trying to find the right place to go and/or to get the parts I'm looking for. I have a very specific vision in mind and would like to accomplish it.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I can help steer you for a specific project. You talk about stock design--- That's pretty easy to put together any feature or style by simply adding or subtracting from your present stock (using Bondo) and then using that as a pattern to duplicate it by pantograph machine to create a 'semi-inlet' from any wood you choose. The fitting and finishing would still have to be done.
That 'handle swell' is called the Wundhammer Swell.

Checking patterns are dictated by the customer. Full wrap-arounds are slightly more expensive because large areas show more mistakes and constantly rolling the stock through 270 degrees for each line is wearing on the body. Consider a divided pattern that is two panels with a narrow stripe down the center like an old Sako Riihimaki.

The barrel is considerably more difficult unless Browning has somebody that replaces barrels. I know they're not sold separately, but you could have a custom barrel done to duplicate it...more $$$ or course. It's not a matter of unscrewing one barrel and screwing in another with the A-Bolt. A custom metal man would cut and bore your old barrel out and fit a new one with better threads, then chamber, cut, crown, polish and fit the flash hider.

It would be a major project in metal and wood, but certainly doable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey JBelk,

Thanks for the specifics. Do you have a ballpark idea what each of these tasks would cost?

Do you know any reputable places to go to get it done, or any suppliers to look into?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts