Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

These photos illustrate what can be done with the basic Mosin Nagant rifle. Sadly, I had to sell this rifle last spring to pay toward my daughter's wedding. So it goes.

Next one I customize will have a shorter barrel and modified safety.
TR

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's incredible. What did you use for the stock? It looks like a Remington. I have a M44 that I'd like to try doing that to. Great job. Shame you had to sell it.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Was that stock something you bought "in the rough" and finished, or was it a custom job? Either way, a stock like that makes any rifle a much prettier thing to look at.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Looks good. Who says you can't make a mosin look good? lol.... I have been wanting to do one up but have not had the time to do it yet. I have several ideas to rework the entire gun so I would be hard to identify as a mosin after I am done. Yours looks better than 98% of the sporter jobs I have seen!

·
Banned
170 Posts
See you can polish a turd!!!! Nice job. I have had a couple of these and they are work sometimes just getting them cleaned up. Refinishing is another job all together.

Again nice job.

AL

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

My friend Bill borrowed this rifle for a bear hunt. One shot into the chest at approx 80 yards did the job. Plain Silver Bear ammo featuring the 180 grain soft tip bullet went all the way through and disappeared into the snow. Bill likes it better than his Winchester 32 Special for bear hunting.

Here are 3 more photos of my former rifle. The stock was cut from plain walnut as opposed to figured walnut. Next one might even be chambered for a wildcat in 8mm to replicate 338-08 ballistics. Maga-ported as well to eliminate muzzle jump.

I love to customize and build things. Current project is a medieval style crossbow. Hoping to have it completed by May.

TR

·
Registered
135 Posts
I found a russian mosin M91/59 in a local gun shop and it was sporterized with a cut down stock, a fabricated bent bolt, a trigger job and a newer front sight done by a local gun smith. He did an awesome job on it. I replaced the stock with the one from sportsmans guide and now she is a real looker. The bore/gun appears to be in new or unissued condition. Next to it in the gun shop was a m95 chilean 7mm mauser in excellent condition i bought that too. Bill

So far i built a german 98k sporter from parts, a chilean 7mm sporter from parts and a scoped mosin from parts. My german 98k cost me under $150 with a scope and a replacement barrel. I used the orginal german military stock with a military 3 post scope. I purchased a german 98k with a sewer pipe barrel for $20.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i just saw on the timiny website they are now making triggers for the mosin,and it has a decent safty.is that a boyds stock?

·
Registered
33 Posts
yessir but if ya can take a cheap rifle and get it to shoot very well then ya still got it cheaper than lets say a 700 cdl.i have a huber trigger on mine at 3lbs pull and it shoots alot gooder than with the 16 lb stock trigger.and they rock for LR

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sweet looking rifle. You did a lot better with yours than I did with mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts