Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a gunsmith question, more of a machining question. My ductile iron Wilton bench vise has those useless pipe jaws on the underside, and they just seem to bug me. They haven't gotten in my way, so far, but they're bug-ugly and useless to me. Without wasting my time and tools trying cut them off does anyone know the best way to cut, grind, saw, or machine the things off? :( Ductile iron is tuff stuff.

·
The Shadow
7,571 Posts
Personally I'd get out the plasma cutter, won't be difficult to get through at all.
If you don't have one, find a farmer or stop by the welding shop.

Cheers

Reactions: scarab

·
Premium Member
14,655 Posts
Plasma or air-arc or 'cutting rod' like Rockmount Electra. Beating on $300 vises is not a good idea. It does void the warranty. ;)

I've got a big Wilton with the pipe jaws underneath but its on a big welding table where that feature is often used.

EDIT-- I just checked ebay and found the vise I leave in the rain and use twice a year has $800 bids on it. :eek:

It looks like some Wiltons have pinned in pipe jaws, slip in or much more common, cast-into the frame. If you happen to have one of the $ 2,000 vises, I'd not take the air arc to it. :eek: :eek:

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,804 Posts
I will trade you. My vise doesn't have pipe jaws and I wish it did.

RJ

·
Registered
520 Posts
An angle grinder will get the job done without risking any other damage. I definitely would not use any kind of hammer and chisel approach.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Tell me about iron! I made my mold vise from iron risers I bought at a foundry. The stuff will eat cutting tools. I spent a week in the yard with a cheap Harbor Freight angle grinder and cut off disks in my body grinder to make rectangles to fit the mill.

Of all the tools I have, the $10 angle grinder has never quit. Great for mower blades. You can get cut off blades for the grinder too. Home Depot has a selection.

I have a humongous cast iron vise made in China without pipe jaws, cost $40. and can crush a car.

·
The Shadow
7,571 Posts
Plasma cutter takes nothing "special", and Farmers work for beer many times:D

No stress, no impact, no excessive heat as with a grinding device.

·
Premium Member
14,655 Posts
Cast iron needs no special abrasives. Buy one rough 'snag' wheel and a couple grades of flap wheels to smooth it out.

An air-arc, plasma or gouging rod makes a five minute job of it.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
If I used a grinder, would I need to use a special diamond &carbide disc? They're expensive.
No, I used the wheel that came with the angle grinder and bought extras, very tough. Home Depot sells cut off disks for different materials and they are not expensive.

I made so much iron dust my grass was rusty. Heat does not transfer well in cast and is why it is hard to weld.

Most indoor yard sales places will have them too.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The angle grinder has properly been nick named "the poor mans milling machine"
I like that. How can you beat a $9.99 angle grinder? Friend bought a very expensive one and still thinks he can sharpen mower blades without removing them. Joe is not very smart anyway. His pellet stove fan does not come on so I told him points are burned in the relay. I can fix but he paid $300 to get the stove cleaned but still needs a board. He said $1000 but one was found for $35 but he will pay labor to get the change out. I said keep the old one so I can fix as a spare. You can peel the cover from a relay and clean points. Super glue the cover back. Do not even need the cover. Plastic box.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The wrong board showed up so the right one is $200.He is still waiting when I can fix it free. I go for a drink and he has a coat on in his house. He asked me for a nipple pick to clear the ML. I found deer antler and made him one. A ten minute job he can't do!!!!! He has no drill bits anyway. He has no idea there are number drill bits or other designations either. Letter bits. Of course he does not have spring steel wire anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts