Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I own a Mossberg 500 and i sanded the butt of the gun off to a pistole grip, but when i tried to screw the grip back on, it makes a clicking noise and wont pump all the way. Can you guys help me out!? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
stock

What you should do is buy another full length stock and put it on the gun and leave it.
Why would you want to take a perfectly accurate shotgun and turn it into an inaccurate one?
Pistol grip only shotguns are short but that is the only thing going for them. They are very difficult to aim and put all the recoil into your hand/wrist/foreram; if your purpose is to use it defensively in your home, you are still going to have to aim the thing. The pattern just isn't very big at most distances in a home.
Pete

·
Banned
115 Posts
What you should do is buy another full length stock and put it on the gun and leave it.
Why would you want to take a perfectly accurate shotgun and turn it into an inaccurate one?
Pistol grip only shotguns are short but that is the only thing going for them. They are very difficult to aim and put all the recoil into your hand/wrist/foreram; if your purpose is to use it defensively in your home, you are still going to have to aim the thing. The pattern just isn't very big at most distances in a home.
Pete
Agreed, if it isn't broke don't fix it....

·
Registered
925 Posts
I agree with last two posters, keep the original. But if you must have a pistol grip please make sure it overall length keeps it legal. The feds want 26 inches+ and some states want even more, so check your local laws before making a shotgun with a pistol grip and short barrel, that is if you chop the barrel.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Ok guys, I own a Mossberg 500 and i sanded the butt of the gun off to a pistole grip, but when i tried to screw the grip back on, it makes a clicking noise and wont pump all the way. Can you guys help me out!? Thanks!
Sounds like your stock bolt is too long now that you have cut it down to a pistol grip configuration, and now it is going too deep into the action, and blocking the bolt from coming back all the way.

·
Inactive account
17 Posts
I had an old savage single shot with a dented barrel, repair was way more than the gun was worth, so I had an idea to try an experiment, I started cutting down the barrel, first cut to remove the dent brought it down to 17'' and I patterned it, nice cilinder bore pattern IMO, then started cutting it down in 2'' increments, same pattern, I cut the thing down to 4 3/4'', short as I could go right up to the retaining lug, when you opened it up the barrel would come off, and it still shot a respectable cylinder bore pattern, Destroyed the barrel after the experiment, so don't think that a short barrel will scatter the shot all over the place, I even tried the old fiber wads to see if the shot cups had anything to do with it, nope same thing...............stegmaier

·
Banned
327 Posts
One of my biggest wastes of money as a young man was buying the Pachmayer Vindicator kit for my Ithaca 37. It was high quality to be sure, but a shotgun without a shoulder stock was about the stupidest thing anybody ever thought of. I still have that kit in the box, very slightly used and with a thin layer of dust on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.