Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I saw an article about accurate patch & ball loads loads for a Bobcat .50. I lost the info due to the untimely death of my old computer. Anyone have this?
Thanks
Ed

·
Inactive
1,962 Posts
It is almost impossible to say, this much powder and this patch and ball. I would get some good powder like Pyrodex RS and some patches and .490 ball. Start your shooting at 70 grains and just work the load upward until you get your best load. It should be somewhere around 80-85 (at least mine is).

·
Inactive
480 Posts
The rule of thumb for a starting load is one grain per caliber, .50 caliber - 50 grains. Then go up 5 grains at a time until you find the most accurate group. You can use Pyrodex RS which is like FFg powder or Pyrodex P which is like FFFg powder. Have to try both to see which works best. I have two .54 Lyman GPRs and a .54 T/C Hawkens that shoot great with FFg powder. I got a .54 CVA Hawkens for a friend of mine. He was shooting 4 to 5 inch groups at 50 yards with FFg. I loaned him my horn with FFFg powder in it and his groups went to 1". No two rifles are alike. Just have to find the right combination that your rifle likes. That's half the fun.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
My CVA Bobcat manual states a max load of 100gr black powder with a round ball.

CD

·
Registered
763 Posts
The Bobcat/DeerHunter rifles have 24" barrels and I owned and hunted with one for 20 years. The short barrel can't take advantage of large powder charges like a longer one can. I chronographed a prb with 100 grains of 3F and got an average of 1710fps. In my longer barreled .50s this load would exceed 2000fps. My recommendation would be to look at 60grns to 70 grns of 3F and find the most accurate load. This is plenty of power and the load (70grns) I use in my 38" EL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.