Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received an early christmas present, a CVA buckhorn .50 cal, inline muzzleloader.
Before shooting the gun for the first time, I took the gun apart, and cleaned and oiled the barrel, bolt and breech plug. After oiling the barrel, I swabbed the barrel to remove any oil from it. Also before loading the gun, I shot a cap first also. I shot it for the first time today, and a little bit of sparks came out the end. Is that normal for the first time?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I recently received an early christmas present, a CVA buckhorn .50 cal, inline muzzleloader.
Before shooting the gun for the first time, I took the gun apart, and cleaned and oiled the barrel, bolt and breech plug. After oiling the barrel, I swabbed the barrel to remove any oil from it. Also before loading the gun, I shot a cap first also. I shot it for the first time today, and a little bit of sparks came out the end. Is that normal for the first time?
You mean you popped a 209 primer and saw sparks come out the end of the barrel? That's normal. If you put a patch on your loading jag and push that down to the bottom of the breech, I've seen a 209 primer push that two inches out the barrel. All that means is your breech plug and fire channel is clear.

I have a Staghorn Magnum which is what your rifle replaced. Basically you have an additional lug. They are good shooters as you will discover.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

I set my wife up with a CVA Buckhorn to hunt with and with the red dot sight on it, it will shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards and well under 2" at 100 yards. So far, this gun has accounted for several deer and a couple of wild hogs....

A

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That really is a nice looking set up you have there. And that RED DOT is a monster. I looked at one once like that made with the Winchester brand name on it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Thank you cayugad...

My wife is right handed and left eye dominate and that is the reason for the red dot. With it's large 50mm lens, it has a lens diameter nearly 2" across and that makes it very easy for her to get a fast target acquisition without having to move her head around, looking for the red dot or the intended target....

A

1 - 7 of 7 Posts