Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to by a rifle to be a target/hunting hybrid in 6.5 creed and have narrowed it down to the CVA cascade and Howa 1500 houge. Looking to see what people think of them and which would be the better buy.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,203 Posts
Looking to see what people think of them and which would be the better buy.
Welcome to the forum.

"Better" is a term that only means something on an individual basis. What you think is a "better" way to get to town, is likely not the same as mine.

With that said, the Howa is a known animal and the CVA is a first effort for the company in the bolt world. The Howa is a nicely turned out rifle, and been around for a hot minute. Whenever a company comes out with something new, and especially aiming for the entry-level market; certain things tend to be rather unrefined.

I would look at it like this:
If this is your first rifle, or the expense of the rifle is a significant purchase for you currently; buy the Howa without question.
If you are in a place in your life where you can buy a rifle, play with it and if you become uninterested or displeased; it's not a big deal to sell it for whatever you can, and get another. Then buy the CVA.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
17,256 Posts
I'm partial to Howa because when their shortcut hurt somebody, they notified customers and owners of used guns of the defect and how to get it fixed for free. Those notifications are still on some gunshop walls and represents a responsible gun company.
Their mistake cost them money but didn't cost them customers.

Reactions: Pudfark

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
The Howa is basically a rebadged Weatherby Vanguard and the Vanguards I've owned were great rifles. I'd go with the Howa without a doubt.

·
Premium Member
17,256 Posts
Howa makes the Vanguard and always have. The Howa 1500 is also the S&W M1500 and Tradewinds M1500 and Ithaca M15.
Howa Machine Tool is a Japanese CNC Machine shop that will make whatever you want......by the thousand.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I've looked at the cascade and wouldn't mind owning one but do own a Howa in 308. Here is a 10 shot group out of it. No regrets at all.

Rectangle Textile Art Mesh Line

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am also partial to the Howa 1500. As said above, the Howa 1500 has been around for a while. You have more options in aftermarket stocks, chassis and magazines , and can buy Howa 1500 barreled actions if you prefer.
I have a Howa 1500 heavy barreled 20" .308 bolted into in an Oryx aluminum chassis and it will shoot a ten round magazine into 3/4 MOA . The two stage triggers on these rifles are very good, and I like the M16 type extractor. Machining is typical Japanese...Outstanding quality for a mass produced rifle.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Seems JWSmith1959 can shoot a 'cling on' off a fly at 100 meters? Howa's are cool.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
have had many Howas....still have 2, the boy now has the rest, and the ALL shot very well, and not one problem among the lot....
if I had to go and buy a Bolt rifle off the rack to go to war with, it would say HOWA all over it, PERIOD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts