Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at blackpowder and I just bought a CVA Hawken rifle off another forum here in Oklahoma City. I don't know anything about this rifle and the CVA website doesn't even mention it anymore. I thought I would call them on Monday to see if I could get some info but I am skeptical about getting any. Does anyone on here know the specifications on this rifle? It is a 50 caliber and I need to know the works about it. Especially loading the rifle, barrel twist etc.

thanks to all in advance, Mark, Edmond Oklahoma

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
CVA St. Louis Hawken .50 Caliber

"Double-set triggers are fully adjustable for a crisp, reliable pull. Adjustable rear sight and beaded steel front blade complement the accuracy of this rifle. The choice stock of select hardwood with beavertail cheekpiece contrasts handsomely with the brass appointments. The patented cold-drawn barrel with 15/16" wide flats is rifled one turn in 48". Complete with adjustable hunting sights for target and hunting use. Synthetic ramrod with brass tips. Wood stock with blued 28" barrel. Total length: 44". Total weight: 8 lbs. Twist: 1 in 48"."

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The 1:48" twist is a compromise twist, so an owner could use either patched round lead balls or lubed conicals.

Sidehammer BP rifles don't typically ingite BP substitute pellets wel if at all, so use loose powder, with either
Pyro "R" or FFg grade BP.

Size the powder charges with a volumetric powder measure - not weighing them, on/with a scale.

Patched RB loads typicall start around 70gr FFg, with 80gr an "accuracy" charge, up to a maximum load around 110gr,
Conical loads will run from 80gr to 100gr, with 90gr an "accuracy" load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts