Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well since I bought my CVA Wolf I find these stories about the barrels blowing up. Several CVA rifles took off hands, lips, noses, and such..all kinds of law suites. Problem always seemed to be barrels certified to EU. black powder standards of 10000 psi. I'm sure this is old news to ya'll. I my working days at the plant things were enginered to 1 1/2 times the working pressure, but, I do wonder what the design, and working psi is on my wolf? Also what is a MAGNUM LOAD?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,654 Posts
We have had a few threads, FYI. You may find a bit of relevant info if you go down to the bottom of the page where the forum lists "similar threads" based on the content of this one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well since I bought my CVA Wolf I find these stories about the barrels blowing up. Several CVA rifles took off hands, lips, noses, and such..all kinds of law suites. Problem always seemed to be barrels certified to EU. black powder standards of 10000 psi. I'm sure this is old news to ya'll. I my working days at the plant things were enginered to 1 1/2 times the working pressure, but, I do wonder what the design, and working psi is on my wolf? Also what is a MAGNUM LOAD?

Yes there were some law suits over barrels blowing up on CVA rifles. What a lot of these law suits do not tell you is what caused the blow up. I have read reports where a person swears that they loaded the rifle normal. And that when they pulled the trigger the barrel blew. So we have to take the person at his word. But seldom do we read the final report. The engineer's conclusions on what made the rifle blow up. Also many of these incidents are settled out of court with a hush order on the case.

Remember, when you load these rifles you are making a pipe bomb technically. The difference is we are giving the bomb a direction to go off in. So make sure you load your rifle properly. Is this an old CVA Wolf or a new one? Some of the new CVA rifles were to a very high standard barrel. And you seldom (I have not yet) seen a report of one blowing.

I have no idea what the working PSI is in a CVA barrel. Or your barrel for that matter. A magnum load is three 50 grain pellets. I believe in loose powder it is 100 grains of powder, but all this might have changed. Know your rifle's limits and stay in them. Know how to load your rifle, and how to spot problems before you pull the trigger and you should be fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
don't know about the muzzleloaders, but i have a new Optima in 45-70 with a Bergara barrell... i've loaded a few #1 level loads with 350gr Speer and 405g Hardcast and the rifle takes them better than my shoulder does. can't remember right off the top of my head the pressures for those loads but my shoulder can tell you they're up there.

·
Banned
43 Posts
To the best of my knowledge this was limited to rifles produced in 95 and 96. I happen to own one of the affect rifles and recieved a new barrel as part of the voluntary recall. I have been shooting it with 300ish grain bullets over 100 grains of powder (2 pyrodex pellets) with no problems. I beleive that in some of the instances where they blew 150 grs of powder were used and the rifle was not designed for that load.

I am going to guess that just about all of the negative stories you have heard find their way back to Chuck Hawks and another guy that contributes to his website. When I went looking for info on this topic I always seemed to end up back at his site. Chuck has some interesting stuff on his website but IMHO he is very opinionated and seems to get himself worked into a froth from time to time. The CVA thing seems to be one of those times and his comments on the matter seem a bit to emotionally charged to be taken at face value. The president of CVA sent him a letter that Chuck posted to his site but not before inserting editorial comments throughout that amount to "oh yeah but what about this?!" and then did not appear to give CVA a change to respond to those comments. So, while his site has good info in general I have to say that I queston his objectivity on this particular topic.

If you are concerned about your rifle give CVA a call and I am sure they will let you know if it was affect by this or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barrel

Thanks as always for the info.
I checked my barrel, and my serial no. It ended in 09 which
means proofed, or made in 2009? The rifle was bought 2 weeks ago from Cabela's.
Really don't know if the Magnum means 150grains, or what.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
CVA made some products of questionable quality for a few years. People were buying a bargain product and then expecting them to stand up to the same demands as top-line stuff. With that being said, guns should not just blow up the way theirs did for a while and if it was one of your friends or family that got hurt using a CVA gun from that period, nobody would blame you for being "opinionated" about the subject.

Today's CVA products seem to be in excellent working order and are being proof-tested properly, to avoid future lawsuits. Load your new gun with 2 pellets or an appropriate amount of black-powder substitute and you will most likely be very happy with its performance and safety. (If you don't know what "Magnum" or 150 grains means, I would suggest you investigate the subject thoroughly before using your gun.)

·
Banned
35 Posts
My CVA Accura I just bought shoots fine. I think today's CVA muzzleloaders are as good as any of the muzzleloaders on today's market IMO.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
When you read the manual it explains all about magnum charges, etc.. A lot of excellent information in there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
:)

Manual states 100 grains loose powder. MAGNUM charge is 3, 50 grain pellets. Problem with the barrels were in 95/96. The bergara barrel that cva uses today are second to none. Go to cva.com and check out their site. All the rifles are there and watch the videos. A lot of great info on every question you might have about powders, pellets, projectiles, primers, access, cleaning and a lot more that I can't think of. I've got 2 ACCURA'S. Both have been fired at least 5/600 times. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

22 MAG.........aka, HAWGSLAYER:eek:;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just a writers scare tactics ploy to sell more of the savages on his website ;)

The 10,000 psi story is an old story to say the least. They used to be tested at that way back in the round ball days when inlines did not exist yet.

CVA's are tested at well over 24,000 PSI.

100gr VS 150gr Magnum Load - CVA recommends a max load of 100-110gr Loose powder depending on the model. This is not for safety, its simply due to anything over 110 grains is getting thrown out of the barrel unburnt. Pellets burn much more different and more efficiently.

I have a gentleman from germany that buys CVA's from midway germany i believe and when the rifles go to germany, they are sent to the proofing house in order to be legal.

heres what he had to say:
All firearms that go into trade here in Germany have to be test fired with bp or smokeless powder loads. Each gun is tested with 3 shots of a charge 30% over maximum! The test firing is done by the authorities called "Beschussamt". No fee because it is ruled by law. This testing is a safety aspect.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just a writers scare tactics ploy to sell more of the savages on his website ;)

heres what he had to say:
All firearms that go into trade here in Germany have to be test fired with bp or smokeless powder loads. Each gun is tested with 3 shots of a charge 30% over maximum! The test firing is done by the authorities called "Beschussamt". No fee because it is ruled by law. This testing is a safety aspect.

if you mean each rifle... that sounds a little counter-intuitive to me...

i know i wouldn't want a rifle that'd been fired 3 times 30% too hot.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,654 Posts
European countries have mandatory proof laws, and most have for quite some time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I spoke to the muzzleloader gun smith here in Little Rock about CVA guns & the horror stories. He has more than thrity years of fixing & building custom muzzleloaders. The only gun he knows of that ever failed was loaded with modern smokeless powder. He did warn me about the new powders; triple seven, white hots, & black horn. These powder are substatially more powerful than black powder or pyrodex. CVA proofs there rifles with pyrodex. If your owners manual recommends a max load of 100 grains & are using these hotter powders you need to reduce your powder load.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had no idea!

Ohhhh my god you guys just saved my AS$%^$!!!.... I had no idea this was a problem.. I own a Apollo CVA .50 with the ser# 61-13-02510X-95 (yes I changed the x digit). Just put a scope on it and shot it yesterday! Called CVA today and gave them my guns number, sure enough it is one of the bad ones.. I asked what I needed to do and kid you not he said "Don’t shoot the gun, send it to us right away". He said the return process takes about 4-6 weeks and I would be getting a new gun. Anyway thanks for the info guys!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had no idea that my search for a CVA Kodiak Muzzleloader and the CVA Plains Pistol post, would be linked to these CVA horror stories!!!

Welp! I guess that's it, then!
Down with CVA and down with Remington too!:mad:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Eccentric people

I dont think there is any shortage of eccentric people in the world (Randy Wakeman) who get an idea in their head and cant get it out. CVA has had their problems, and I do think you get what you pay for, but my only rifle is a CVA and I have no intention of ditching it. Does Randy have a degree in Mechanical Engineering ? Nope.

·
Registered
549 Posts
his scare tactics are old and used up. He'll be pushing either TC or Knight now that savage has shut down their smokeless muzzle loader product.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts