Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. Hello to all
Newly purchased Kodiak Jan. 2009. Tried (2) 777 pellets, and (2) 777 magnum pellets along with Hornady red tip sabots (250gr) and 777primers, swabbed between shots. Best group about 10".
Switched to Blackhorn 209, same sabots mentioned. 100, 105, 110 grains of powder and Federal 209A primers, not much better groups. Scope mounts good. Any suggestions?

Note: Not new to shooting, and reloading for centerfire rifles and handguns for many years.

·
Registered
550 Posts
most likely the wrong sabot. Thats why i dislike sabots, theres so many that you have to buy and try out.

Try a 250 or 300gr hornady xtp in a short black mmp-12 sabot. start with 90gr BH209. Throw those pellets out, they dont allow you to adjust a little at a time.

Personally, i'd get some Pyrodex RS and use the Winchester 777 primers, start off with 90gr and use the sabot load i gave you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
you gotta try different bullets, its most likley NOT the propellant I had to try half a dozen before I found one my rifle liked. Try a heavier bullet or a Barnes like I did

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try Horniday XTP .44 cal 300 gr. .430 dia and a Harvester Rib Crusher sabot. Push these with about 100 gr. of pyrodex RS. My CVA Accura loves this load

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is your barrel getting too hot?

Are you loading exactly the same each time?

How good is your scope and mount?

Barrel in good shape?

Everything sounds fine with these loads and you should be getting alot tighter groups than 10". Something is not right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Barrel was not hot. Able to hold it bare handed, not even warm to the touch.
Scope mounts checked, all tight.
Barrel? Gun is brand new.
Loading exactly the same. Ramrod marked for consistent seating.

Many thanks to all responders. Going to try heavier projectiles.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I read this on another forum but a few guys told me to never use bore butter in a 209. I guess it causes real accuracy problems, other then that are you seating the bullet to the same depth the same each time and is your powder dry? Maybe try a different powder and make sure the seating depth is the same with each shot and make sure of course its seated all the way.

I can't imagine any bullet or sabot shooting that bad unless there is another problem. I use HornadayXTPs 300 gr and they shoot really well. cheap too :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
i was doing some testing with bore butter in my Accura. I ended up with a bad crud ring 3" off the top of the powder. I took it back inside, scrubbed it, reloaded my tubes and shot 3 shots without an issue. Bore butter is great for patch lube ( round ball shooters) but it is total junk for inline shooters. No need for that stuff at all.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I am not going to claim that Bore Butter causes accuracy problems in inline rifles. Many people use it and swear by it. I personally swear at it. Bore butter is a good patch lube. But I will never protect my rifles with it. And I know, many do use it and have no problems. As I normally say, their rifles, do as they want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am just getting started with my first muzzleloader, a CVA Kodiak Pro. I have experienced great results on the range with 295 grain powerbelt hollow points using two 50 grain Triple Seven pellets. I had no problem with multiple shots between cleanings.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I am just getting started with my first muzzleloader, a CVA Kodiak Pro. I have experienced great results on the range with 295 grain powerbelt hollow points using two 50 grain Triple Seven pellets. I had no problem with multiple shots between cleanings.

That is the beauty of a slip fit conical. In my White rifles, I can sit and shoot all day without swabbing and with little loss of accuracy, because I shoot a 460-500 grain slip fit conical. Also the powder does make a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts