Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Inactive account
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Bought a CVA Mountain Rifle, flint 50 cal., about 2 months ago. It has the very cheap Spanish lock on it but am wondering about the barrel. It appears to be unmarked in terms of country of origin....serial number 75xxx. I have hear many rumors about these barrels...Douglass made, or made by Deer Creek using Douglass rifling machinery. Others say it could be Spanish.

Would I have a USA barrel if there is no country of origin on it? Are there any tell tale signs that the barrel is Eibar/Spanish made? My CVA Kentucky that I had as a kid(1980) was clearly marked made in Spain. Hoping that I at least have a nice barrel on this Mountain Rifle. If so, I will see about converting it to percussion and having the L and R replacement lock put on there. This gun was to be for my son but there are a number of things that will have to get fixed/tested before I/ he puts it to his shoulder, though.

Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I had one of the first CVA Mountain rifles made...serial number 0000001369, purchased in 1977. It was USA made and a very good shooter. The CVA Kentuckies were imported from spain, but the Mountain Rifle was made in USA.

I wish I still had it. Then I could tell you if it was marked "Made in USA" or not. I really can't remember. If it was marked, it was in much smaller and shallower print than on the TC HAwkens of the time.

Some of my friends in the more traditional ML groups would file off the serial numbers and barrel markings before browning the barrels.

·
Inactive
1,962 Posts
It was my understand that the early CVA Mountain rifles had Douglas Barrels. My friend had one in .58 caliber and I learned to shoot black powder with that rifle. It was deadly accurate and he shot a lot of deer with that thing.

·
Inactive account
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input fellas. As I understand it, the first ones were clearly marked Made in the USA, and had the patchbox with 4 screws. Then comes the shadowy period with the barrels not marked with country of origin, and also at some point they went to the patchbox with the 2 screws(mine has this, along wth the unmarked barrel and Spanish lock). I have heard rumors that the unmmarked barrels(they have the standard CVA markinigs, just no country of manufacture)were made in USA also and were done by Deer Creek using the old Douglas machinery. Also reports of Sharon making them but seriously doubt this. My barrel is in the 75,000 range. The gun was advertised as one of the made in the USA ones and I am just trying to determine what I have, and where I want to go with it. The Q/C on the piece is pretty bad as well with bent key lug, dovetails that are not properly installed and a hooked breech which was installed at a severely off angle. All fixable, but would like to know where I am at with this barrel before I start.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I still have the CVA Mountain rifle, .50-caliber, I bought new in 1980.
The barrel is USA marked. It has the four-screw patchbox.
It is a very well made, and accurate rifle. I use .490 Speer balls in a linen patch, lubricated with Gatofeo No. Bullet Lubricant (a home brew lubricant I've posted all over the net. I posted it so many times that someone named it after me).
My plinking load is 50 grains of Goex FFG black powder. I haven't hunted in years, but when I did it was 90 grains under the same ball and patch. Rifling rate is 1 turn in 66 inches, made for the round ball. It doesn't bother me; millions of deer have been taken with lead balls through the centuries. I doubt that deer have become any tougher, as long as you put the ball where it counts.
I've occasionally fired a conical bullet in mine, but always while plinking so I have no idea how accurate it is with such bullets.
My Mountain Rifle is very well made.
Later versions of the Mountain Rifle were not as well made, and all I've seen had "Made in Spain" clearly marked on the barrel. Have you removed the barrel and scrutinized the underside, not in plain view?
The aforementioned 50 gr. load is a very accurate plinking load. It has plenty of smoke and boom for newcomers and experienced shooters alike, but conserves powder.
I've also used Pyrodex RS in my rifle but not found it as accurate. In all my black powder guns, real black powder is most accurate.

·
Inactive
480 Posts
You might check the barrel for any Spanish proof marks. All the CVA Kentucky and Hawkens I.ve seen with Spanish barrels have been very accurate. The main complaint I've heard of has been with lock quality. If you use a L&R replacement lock, you should have a darn good rifle! You may even consider keeping it as a flinter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.