Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I am relatively new to muzzleloaders. Bought the V2 last year and put about 8 rounds through it. This year went to sight it in. Put two rounds through it with no issues whatsoever. I go to fire the 3rd and nothing. The primers are denting, I tried 4 of those. The breach plug is clear (I can see through the pinhole). After the 4th, I removed the breach plug and sore I saw a little "smoke". Any clue what is causing this? At this time, the sabot and 2 triple 7 powders are still in the gun itself, I do not know how to remove them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,870 Posts
The "worm" screw that attaches to your cleaning/ram rod is run down the bore and turned to screw into the bullet, then pulled out the muzzle. The propellant should shake out with muzzle pointed down.

Are you saying the 209 shotgun primers are indented by the firing pin and failed to fire? Be sure the primers are properly seated.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Use a 3mm drill bit and with your fingers, spin it and CUT the carbon build up out of the breech plugs flash channel.

Switching to a Winchester W209 primer may also help if you are using winchester 777 primers, but clean that breech plug the way i stated above.

Also remove your barrel and then remove the firing pin bushing to remove firing pin spring/pin. Clean that are out really well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If primers are not igniting check your hammer for blockages. I accidentally dropped a used primer into my V2 lock during reloading. The primer got between the hammer and the frame. The hammer functioned up to the point of striking, but with only a light force. Shook out the errant primer, fixed it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I unload my CVAs by removing the breech plug and pushing the pellets & bullet out the breech. Make sure that the firing pin is free when you open the breech and while holding the trigger depressed push on the hammer and the firing pin should be free to travel in and out. If not remove the firing pin assembly and clean and lube the parts. I also use one of these rubber O-Rings in the primer pocket to make a firm fit for the primer and to prevent blowback. https://www.mcmaster.com/9262k611

1 - 6 of 6 Posts