Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be a lot of CVA users out there. I was looking for a new muzzleloader for my son and the CVA's are certainly priced right. I did a little checking into them and found some disturbing info. http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloading_tragedy.htm

Anyone hear first hand of any CVA mishaps?

I'll be paying extra to stick with an american made product. I use a White G Series Whitetail and will keep looking until I find another.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
http://www.openseasongear.com/Model_2000_Blacktail_Hunter_50_cal_p/000150.htm

Since your a White owner you will appreciate these rifles. Well priced too. Something that would last a life time. Also White Rifles is open again and offering parts.

A CVA is a good rifle. And yes there are some instances that they ruptured. I personally feel the new Accura is a good rifle from all the reports. Knight went out of business. Thompson Center Triumph is a good rifle. The choice is hard, but I own three Whites and consider them the best rifle out there.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
looks like the Whites are out of stock. They always sell out fast. Depending on the CVA you like, if it has a Bergra barrel I would think that is a fine rifle. Those come on the Accura and the Apex also some of the Optima Pro have them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can go on CVA's website and look under "Company" and you will find the voluntary recall of all IN-LINE RIFLES with a model number ending in 95 or 96. All these guns were made in 1995 and 1996 and they are the only ones that have experienced any barrel failures. Chuck Hawk knows this but will not admit that CVA has done what is right. It is high time to end this crap about CVA's rifles. Granted they are made in Spain and Lyman rifles are made in Italy. TC is still made in the good old USA and doesn't have any metric parts on it.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Another option for an affordable muzzle-loader is the Traditions line of products. A friend of mine just bought on of the Pursuit models and for ~ $300, it was pretty nice. My favorite, and probably the most significant ML currently in production, is the Thompson Center Z5 Omega. It's only a little more money than some of the others and is a 'no-compromise' kind of gun.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Traditions and CVA barrels (other then the Bergra) come out of the same factory for the most part. What I usually say to anyone concerned about the barrel quality of the CVA/BPI rifles is... don't purchase one. If your not concerned the you can shoot a CVA for a lot less. Many thousands of hunters use a CVA rifle and have excellent luck with them. But again, if you have doubts, then don't purchase one.

I own a couple CVA rifles. I bought a CVA Staghorn Magnum as my first inline rifle. $89.00 for a nickel barrel Staghorn. It shoots 90 grains of powder and most projectiles very accurate. 90 grains is a long way from 150 grains.

I think any gun can be made to fail. It all depends on how often they do fail and what made it do so.

·
Registered
163 Posts
CVA makes great rifles and Randy Wakean is a total arse. I have a CVA Accura and love it. Randy W can go to ****.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I havnt heard of any mishaps or had any myself. I have an Optima Pro, the last year they made it before offering the new rifle/ml option. I really like mine. Good balance and feel. I like the shorter LOP for in the winter. I just wish the rifle barrels would fit my action.

At this point, I would definatly buy another CVA

·
Registered
21 Posts
They're good, I think. I have personal experience with two. My first was a a CVA Staghorn. Killed deer with it. Then I got a CVA Buckhorn, which replaced the Staghorn - it was about 76 bucks on a post-season sale. Works great, still have it. It'll kill deer.

Neither of mine have blown up, but I've not stuffed 'em with a double load & left ramrod in the barrel. I fired a few 150 loads, decided it was a waste of power, and generally use 90-100gr loose Pyrodex and a 240gr XTP - wholly sufficient for deer at woods ranges.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
90-100 grains is good for deer at about any range IMO. I have a Staghorn also and you named the magic load... 90 grains. Good shooter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts