Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I have had an issue with my pre 65 model 94. When I get to the last 2 rounds in the tube the lever becomes extremely difficult to operate, its practically frozen in place. Sometimes the hammer doesn't come back either. Has anyone else had this issue?
Thank you in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up a 1938 Win 94 a few years ago and on initial inspection it looked clean, but when I went to fire it I started having feed issues and it ended up jamming with a round almost seated home.

I took and started disassembling it and suddenly the jam freed. As I field stripped the receiver I realized it was bone dry and powder fouled and probably hadn't had a decent cleaning in several decades.

After cleaning and reassembling, it has worked flawlessly since.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I suspect you're cycling the action rather slow, and you have damaged the Link. The link has a little tab on the front that holds the cartridges back during cycling. The binding you're feeling is the cartridge rim smashing that little tab, and eventually it will push the tab down to the point it will stop working. A Winchester 94 needs to be cycled with authority, don't baby that lever.

If the tab is only mildly damaged I would typically peen it to stretch it back into shape, and then finish up with a file. If it is really damaged, then a replacement link is the best idea.

Winchester Model 94 Link (midwestgunworks.com)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts