Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace the cylinder base pin on a Ruger Blackhawk New Model. Who makes the best and how much are they. After a few shots it works its way out, unlatches or something.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Easy, only replacement that I know of is Belt Mountain, go over to www.sixgunner.com and I think that their ad is right on the main page. Also you can find their ads in Rifle/Handloader mag.

Before you spend money, take a minute to figure out if you can fix the one you have. Take off the ejector housing (1 screw) and the pin comes right out. Now, check the latch mechanism. Notice how far it travels with the pin in the gun (locked) and completely out of the gun. It may not be getting completely closed. I had one gun do this, and filed the notch a little deeper with a round file. Now it stays just fine with full .44 mag loads.

Good luck.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Also when you take the base pin out to check the enguagement of the latch, remove the latch and look at the part that contacts the base pin. If it is battered and beat up, replace it reguardless of wheather or not you replace the base pin.
Plus a Wolf extra strength base pin latch spring helps hold the latch closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts