Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out with a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. Cylinder throats were all .432 dia. I have 4 throats that now measure .4325. This is after 168 lapping loads. LBT kit, Clover 320 grit, 2 grains bullseye. The muzzle measures .4295 the part of barrel that is threaded into frame is .430. I can push a slug with relative ease from muzzle to breech. I estimate that 90% of the constriction in the threaded barrel area is gone. My concern is the cylinder. Have I goofed my first barrel lapping attempt? Any and all help is appreciated. My thanks in advance.      
                         Dean

·
Registered
254 Posts
From your description, I'd say you're where you should be. Load and shoot for record with 431 bullets in cast and see how everything acts. All dimensions get smaller in the direction of bullet travel and this is desirable.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Sounds just about right.  You might also want to try some .432" bullets, if they will chamber.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Sounds like you've reached ideal dimensional relationships with that Ruger!

The throats are perfect for .432" cast bullets, and the barrel with its .0005" taper from breach to muzzle provides a gradually increasing grip on the bullet as it travels towards the muzzle... which couldn't be better.

No you haven't botched anything at all!  It sounds like your first attempt is rather on the perfect side!

Go shoot and enjoy!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 4 of 4 Posts