Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just went out and bought a 452 american on friday. Just wanted to get others thoughts on the rifle. I was looking at a 453 but it was $300 cheaper to get the 452 American. Ive had an older CZ before and it was a real tack driver... Also had the older model winchester sportco. So im wondering if anyone has had any experience or comments....

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have never owned one but I've heard nothing but good things about them. If you want to talk with a bunch of other guys who shoot them try here. www.rimfirecentral.com I go over to this site all the time. It's a lot like it is here, good people with lots of information but tailored to rimfire shooting.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I own a CZ American "Classic" model 452 in .22 Long Rifle and it is a very excellent .22 Sporting rifle. I have a 4-power Weaver rimfire scope on mine and also had Williams Gunsight Company install fire sights, a few years ago, so I can use open sights if I choose to do so.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,710 Posts
Tack-driving terror. I've hit both ***** and crows out to 100 yards. Have fun!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounding very promising. I have done a bit of research on the Amercain from rimfirecentral, but I like to keep my mind open to some criticisms and praise where appropriate. Not a fan of relying on one source for all my information.

Are there any pit falls with the american that anyone has found? Also has anyone bothered to change the trigger, if so to what and why. People have been telling me I should spend $15 and change the spring, but at the moment Im very happy with how the pull is.

My current setup is a 452 American, with leupold rifleman rings and a leupold 3-9x40 scope.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have the 452 "Special"(military trainer), basically the same riffle with a birch stock with a low comb for the target sights that come on the riffle.
it shoots GREAT! I have a Nikon Buck Master 3-9x40 on it, that's WAY! plenty scope for that riffle, actually never shot the open sights, the guys say they are TOP NOTCH!, don't dought it.
They talk about all the trigger upgrades available, all I did to mine was back it down to the lowest possible weight in stock form, I have no complaints.
The "Americans" use standard 3/8" dovetails, not the 11mm dovetails the other 452's use so scope mounting is straight forward.
The only hhhmmmm? that I recall is the stock touches the barrel at the forend, only on one side, mine does it as well, some minor sanding is required.
The only other thing is some consider spare magazines a bit pricey?, and the metal ones are hard to find, but the plastic one seem to function just fine.
I'm pleased with mine!:cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been reading about cleaning the CZ and people seem to be using hoppes. I have sweets 7.62 that I use for my 308 and was told by the bloke behind the counter that i should not be using it on the CZ. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
. . . was told by the bloke behind the counter that i should not be using it on the CZ. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?
There are about as many opinions on how to clean a rimfire rifle bore as there are shooters. Opinions range from cleaning after each range session to not at all. I'm somewhere in the middle. Was told by the "old timers" that bullets shot down a bore lubed from previous shooting do not go through the transition of cleaned bore to lubed bore so shoot more consistently accurate. These are benchrest rimfire shooters talking so take it for what it's worth. See nothing wrong with using Sweet's. Might ask the bloke behind the counter "Why not?"

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think using Sweets on a 22 is major overkill. Sweets is really good at removing copper fouling which really isn't a problem with a 22lr. Hoppes #9, Benchrest #9, Butch's, Birchwood Casey bore solvent and several others will do the job without issue. I don't think Sweets would damage the barrel if used per the instructions but I just don't think it is necessary. A lot of serious 22 shooters won't clean their barrel until they see accuracy dropping off and believe it takes 25-50 rounds to "re-season" the bore. I personally think this is mumbo jumbo and my Ruger 10/22 target seems to shoot just fine after only 4-5 fouling shots. I clean mine after ever 200 rounds of so. I pull a bore snake through it a couple of times to break any crud loose. Then I run a patch of Hoppes followed by a couple of dry patches. Then I run a oiled patch followed by another one or two dry patches. Literally takes about fives minutes to do this. I use a homemade patch worm made from weedeater line to pull patches through mine since I hate cleaning a gun from the muzzle. However, this won't be an issue for your bolt gun. I think mine shoots pretty good for a stock barrel and only a 2-7x33 scope. Here's a couple of groups I've shot.

This is five rounds at 50 yards with CCI Mini Mags

Five rounds at 25 yards with CCI Mini-Mags

Both of these are 10 shot groups at 25 yards and the wind was blowing like crazy. It actually blew my target stand over twice that day.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
CZ does have some very good firearms/dollar, my daughter has a 452 Scout. It's very accurate with most anything you feed it.

Cleaning .22's is an interesting topic. I have a buddy that coaches small bore teams, and has considerable experience maintaining their accuracy. They drag a couple patches through the bore with heavy nonofilament line every 500-1000rds, and never use any type of solvent. They never shoot plated ammo. My 77/22 shoots the very best with Winchester Super Speed HP's and Remington Yellow Jackets. After 500rds of Winchester there is a fair amount of copper fouling at the muzzel, and I remove it with Hoppe's No.9. Between that, I drag a patch through the barrel to remove powder residue after each session. Not sure that's necessary, but my Grandfather would turn in his grave if I didn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts