Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CZ 457 MTR and have groups of 0.35 to 0.45 at 50 yards depending on ammo. What size groups should I expect at 100 yards. I red somewhere that the world record for a 22lr at 100 yards is 0.6095 in.
I red an article that reviewed the accuracy of several 22lr loads at 100 yards and some were less than 0.50 in. I am confused, would someone explain this please.

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
"Reviews and claims" on the internet are pretty much useless and totally different than reality.
Groups at double the range are usually 10% more than double the short range group. That formula works less well at longer ranges. Wind, humidity, mirage and Murphy makes it so. ;)

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I have a CZ .22lr and it's a great shooter. I don't think that you'll break the world record with your gun, but I agree with JBelk on his comments. Another thought is that 3 shot groups are pretty meaningless regarding the accuracy potential of any gun. Shooting five shot groups and averaging three or four of them will give you a much better idea of what your guns potential are. I once shot a six shot group with my CZ at seventy-five yards that measured .43" but couldn't repeat it again (I had six bullets left in the box and just shot them up to empty the box). I never tell anyone my gun will shoot that on demand. From my experience with target rimfires at 100 yards, you'd be doing very good to get five shots inside an inch at any given time. Even the best ammo just isn't perfect...no matter what you pay for it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Even a slight bit of wind & shot to shot velocity variations reek havoc on 22 LR pills @ 100 yards. If you have a rifle/ammo combo that will group MOA at that distance you have something special. My CZ groups .7" at 50 yards, but opens to 2"+ at 100. My Browning T-Bolt 22 WMR will put 10 shots in a single ragged hole at 50 yards, but struggles to get under 2" at 100. Just the nature of 22 rimfires.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Even a slight bit of wind & shot to shot velocity variations reek havoc on 22 LR pills @ 100 yards. If you have a rifle/ammo combo that will group MOA at that distance you have something special. My CZ groups .7" at 50 yards, but opens to 2"+ at 100. My Browning T-Bolt 22 WMR will put 10 shots in a single ragged hole at 50 yards, but struggles to get under 2" at 100. Just the nature of 22 rimfires.
Sounds like an honest answer.

For anyone wanting to see a decent group out to 100yds, or even a bit more with their .22 LR rifle, snag a box of Eley Force, or SK Long Range Match. One of them will shoot the best, but in the four rifles I own, each one will shoot better with one or the other. (Not by a lot). My 10/22 and 77/22 will both shoot close to an inch for 5 @ 100 more often than not with one or the other. Both rifles have more money in the barrels, triggers, shims, and scopes than the original rifles cost, (should have bought a Quad or Anchutz).
My plain vanilla Savage BV does nearly as well with the Eley stuff. With run of the mill HS ammo, 2" is a good day with any of my rifles. Bulk ammo, more like 3"-4".

Sometimes, you can get what you paid for.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
tiny groups are a product of Shooter, Rifle, Ammo and just plain old luck. the more groups you shoot the better you 'best' will be.

100 yard groups under .1 are often. BUT you can't really mesure C-T-C, so they must be measured E-T-E; which means the a .1 CTC group will measure .32. this adds to the confusion unless you know the game rules.

To see how accurately a rifle shoots, most people shoot at 10 target, one shot each. If they all score inside the center ring you know what the group is. Also with 10 shots in 10 bulls, one doesn't have to prove how many shots went thru the same hole?

Hope that helps clear up some of your record reading rboone

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
should have said, my CZ 453FS has shot 5 shots at 50 yards, .322 E-T-E. that would be .102 CTC. just a lucky day maybe.

All rifles have ammo they like. that when I test a 22 rifle I have 20+ boxes of various brands of ammo. Best luck is, my CZ loves Remington 525 box 40 grain Golden Bullet. the above group used that ammo, the AKA 'cheapo stuff'. Many people think that the ammo variation is so small that it is the best fit rim to your specific rifle. I really don't know; but the 36 gr HP golden Bullet doesn't shoot well out of that rifle. Also have rifles that shoot terrible with those same cartridges.......go figure.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
If you measure edge to edge the caliber adds to the group size, that's why people measure center to center or the easier way is outside of one hole to inside of farthest bullet hole away.
In benchrest they use a moving backer to record shots and a plug tool to get the measurement correct.

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
Tiny groups are measured outside to outside with an optical circle. The diameter of the bullet is subtracted from the outside dimension. That gives center to center measurements which is used for all groups at 100 yards. 200 yard groups are many times listed in MOA. That means a guy that shoots a .300 at a hundred and his 200 yard group is double, they read the same. .300.
A traveling backer target is required for BR competition to count shots.

·
Registered
11 Posts
tiny groups are a product of Shooter, Rifle, Ammo and just plain old luck. the more groups you shoot the better you 'best' will be.

100-yard groups under .1 are often. BUT you can't really measure C-T-C, so they must be measured E-T-E; which means a .1 CTC group will measure .32. this adds to the confusion unless you know the game rules.

To see how accurately a rifle shoots, most people shoot at 10 targets, one shot each. If they all score inside the center ring you know what the group is. Also with 10 shots in 10 bulls, one doesn't have to prove how many shots went through the same hole?

Hope that helps clear up some of your record reading rboone
Agree with HarrySS for sure. and the accuracy can change from lot to lot as well. :) That "Green Monster Target will test all your skills for sure. :eek: I might add one other accuracy test for you to try. Shoot an entire box of 50 at 50 yards, another 50 at 100 yards, and if you are really brave another 50 at 200 yards. :eek: Measure the results of that and tell me you have an MOA rifle. :(

I have an Anschutz 54, a Cooper 36, several CZ's ( including a 457 MTR ), a Magnum Research, Remington's, a Sako, a Steyr, & just recently added a Winchester 52. For sure the Anschutz 54 Match MS is the most consistent shooter of the bunch but the Cooper, several CZ's & the Steyr certainly can produce some good consistent results at times. Just got the Winchester 52 so the facts are not yet documented on that one . . . but I am hoping for good results there as well.

Keep shooting and improving . . . Enjoy

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have a CZ 457 MTR and have groups of 0.35 to 0.45 at 50 yards depending on ammo. What size groups should I expect at 100 yards. I red somewhere that the world record for a 22lr at 100 yards is 0.6095 in.
I red an article that reviewed the accuracy of several 22lr loads at 100 yards and some were less than 0.50 in. I am confused, would someone explain this please.
I have shot some single groups of under .50" at 100 yards. The explanation of your assumed discrepancy is that the .6095 you cite was an NBRSA World Record for the aggregate of five - five shots groups (not a single group!) at 100 yards outdoors shot by Bill Sink on 7-4-98 in the Light Custom Class. I also hold one of the records shown for the 100 yard aggregate in the Custom Class. See this link, the rimfire records are at the bottom of the page:

NBRSA WORLD RECORDS AS OF 09/02/2000

·
Registered
185 Posts
OP you will have to find the right ammo at 100 yard for that gun same ammo may not be right at 100 yds. What scope do u use? If you have a 40 to 50 power scope u will have a view angle of just over 2 feet so u can shoot at the edges of a 1\4" dot. If u have anything less your view will be impaired also the retical that u use is a big deal when u are under 20 power scope. Things change big time when u move to 100 yards, small wind gusts will kill a good group real quick!!

here are some 100 yard groups never get any better for my shooting skills with my Anschutz 1710HB

good luck

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
"Reviews and claims" on the internet are pretty much useless and totally different than reality.
Groups at double the range are usually 10% more than double the short range group. That formula works less well at longer ranges. Wind, humidity, mirage and Murphy makes it so. ;)
Couldn't agree more!
And, I have found, with 22 rimfire, 100 yard groups are much more than double plus 10% of the 50 yard possibilities.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Couldn't agree more!
And, I have found, with 22 rimfire, 100 yard groups are much more than double plus 10% of the 50 yard possibilities.
I would agree for the most part but I think it's due to climatic conditions, I used to live closer to Denver and shot at an underground 100yd range when testing rimfires, shot some pretty amazing groups with select lots of R100 and Tenex in my 40x. I had one carton of R100 that produced centerfire like groups, I don't remember exactly but they were under .5" for 10 shots groups....if I remember right.
It was an anomaly though, a good lot of Tenex was between 1/2 and 3/4.
Speaking of Tenex the last two cartons I've gotten were terrible, had better luck with Edge
and..... have you noticed the prices have went down finally. Yay!!! hope they get back to where they were 10 years ago.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
have you noticed the prices have went down finally. Yay!!! hope they get back to where they were 10 years ago.
Probably when I get back to where I was 10 years ago. :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts