Shooters Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
I would agree for the most part but I think it's due to climatic conditions, I used to live closer to Denver and shot at an underground 100yd range when testing rimfires, shot some pretty amazing groups with select lots of R100 and Tenex in my 40x. I had one carton of R100 that produced centerfire like groups, I don't remember exactly but they were under .5" for 10 shots groups....if I remember right.
It was an anomaly though, a good lot of Tenex was between 1/2 and 3/4.
Speaking of Tenex the last two cartons I've gotten were terrible, had better luck with Edge
and..... have you noticed the prices have went down finally. Yay!!! hope they get back to where they were 10 years ago.
Kevin,
My context in responding to and agreeing with Jack, is that I have shot some 50 yard 22 rimfire groups (all my shooting is outdoors) under .100" (not many!) and quite a few between .100" and .200", but I've never come close to shooting a .200" (double?) rimfire group at 100 yards. I'm sure shooting in a tunnel or the Texas warehouse would have a significant positive influence.

Registered
Kevin,
My context in responding to and agreeing with Jack, is that I have shot some 50 yard 22 rimfire groups (all my shooting is outdoors) under .100" (not many!) and quite a few between .100" and .200", but I've never come close to shooting a .200" (double?) rimfire group at 100 yards. I'm sure shooting in a tunnel or the Texas warehouse would have a significant positive influence.
Absolutely, I've never shot one that small at 100yds even indoors, my gun is to light. Been thinking about re-stocking mine with a laminated br stock from Richards micro-fit, nice heavy one, hopefully they don't go out of business before I get around to ordering one.
Check out the 20 yard groups I'm getting with my Diana pcp on the airgun section, those heavy JSB pellets give me the warm and fuzees, it groups them like that on demand.

Registered
Kevin,
I've been thinking about getting a PCP gun for shooting in the back yard (3 acres so neighbors not an issue) when I can't get to the range (35 mile drive). I've got an RWS break barrel that's OK for a fun gun, but nothing like yours. I assume you posted groups under the Air Rifle category, I'll look there.
Here are some 50 yard groups I shot a long time ago with my Kimber AAM. I was testing ammo, firing five - five shot groups, one after an other without cleaning, just to see what would happen to group size when switching ammo. Results were kind of confusing and non-conclusive, and certainly not what I had read or been led to believe by the 'experts! Overall, I was satisfied with the 125 shot total agg., especially since I was just playing around.;)

Attachments

Premium Member
That's 'gopher eye' shooting!

Group size versus range and group size versus number of rounds is not a geometric progression. I should have said "plus at least 10%".

I've owned two rifles that grouped the same or even smaller at 200 than at 100. Both shooting boat-tailed bullets slower than 'normal'.
Wind is the big factor and a constant here. I either miss-judge the wind or outguess myself nearly every time and get a horizontally oblong group.

I've been agonizing over a confession--I've never in my life shot a rimfire rifle for group at a hundred yards. :eek:

I might fix that tomorrow.

Reactions: crooked creek

Registered
Kevin,
I've been thinking about getting a PCP gun for shooting in the back yard (3 acres so neighbors not an issue) when I can't get to the range (35 mile drive). I've got an RWS break barrel that's OK for a fun gun, but nothing like yours. I assume you posted groups under the Air Rifle category, I'll look there.
Here are some 50 yard groups I shot a long time ago with my Kimber AAM. I was testing ammo, firing five - five shot groups, one after an other without cleaning, just to see what would happen to group size when switching ammo. Results were kind of confusing and non-conclusive, and certainly not what I had read or been led to believe by the 'experts! Overall, I was satisfied with the 125 shot total agg., especially since I was just playing around.;)
My wife and I have both had Kimbers and different times, hers was a hunter silhouette model, super accurate but ended up being a little to front heavy for her to hold offhand.
Only downside to many Kimber 22's is they don't seem to group well with mid priced ammunition, they're incredibly accurate with 10.00+ per box of ammunition but not the 5-6.00 a box stuff.
I had thin a barreled Kimber sporter with an incredible stock on it I try not to think to much about, really regret selling it.

Registered
You can see what ammo my Kimber liked, most of it no longer available, but early lots of Lapua Master was a match winner for me.
My Kimber does not look like it did when it left the factory. The second set of photos of the barreled action are of a Walther Sil. model. The aluminum bedding blocks were externally milled as one unit, then cut in half. One half went to the Kimber, the other half to the Walther. The two halves were drilled with different diameter holes for the two barrel diameters, then split in half longitudinally for a top and bottom. With the bottom halves of the blocks being identical, I was able to bed them into the Lee Six graphite stock so I could switch the two barreled actions into one stock. With the barrel bedding block approach, the actions are totally free floated, as is the barrel forward of the block, the block bottom and tapered sides are the only thing making contact with the stock. The silver 'stud' behind the trigger replaced a formal trigger guard and I used a 'pinch' method of pulling the trigger with my thumb in the radiused locator area of the stud and my fore finger on the trigger. I shot 'free recoil' with no facial or shoulder contact with the stock. My thumb and finger is all that touched the gun on the bags. The Kimber shot the best consistently, but the Walther was a close second, with a few 'winning moments'.

P.S. The Kimber AAM's were not allowed to leave the factory unless they shot a five shot 50 yard test target of .300". As I recall (I have the target somewhere) mine had a test target of .27X" with the paperwork.

Attachments

Registered
The biggest problem when shooting 22LR at 100 yards is the "sonic transition" velocity change. If you use high velocity ammunition then at some point that bullet will drop into the transonic velocity range and the bullet will try to tumble. The gyrations the bullet goes through take it off course and increase group sizes dramatically. When shooting long range with a 22 LR you are better off to start below that velocity. 800 to 1100 FPS is about right unless it is very cold or the barometric pressure is high without humidity. Then you need to drop the velocity to 800 to 1000 FPS.
Being a "AAA" small bore silhouette shooter I am well aware that some guns like some ammo and won't fire groups with others. Find a "standard velocity" or target ammo that your gun will shoot and your groups will be better at 100 yards.

Premium Member
I have a CZ 457 MTR and have groups of 0.35 to 0.45 at 50 yards depending on ammo. What size groups should I expect at 100 yards. I red somewhere that the world record for a 22lr at 100 yards is 0.6095 in.
I red an article that reviewed the accuracy of several 22lr loads at 100 yards and some were less than 0.50 in. I am confused, would someone explain this please.
Paul,
I wouldn't paint all "internet" reviews with such a broad brush, some are very useful and common sense will tell you soon enough who's blowing smoke. My advice would for YOU to shoot YOUR rifle at 100 yards to see what it will actually do. Nobody can predict how your rifle will perform at that distance.
I recently received a CZ 457 Lux from one of the distributors I deal with:

When I mounted the scope I tried to insert the Bushnell adjustable spud into the muzzle end of this rifle. The CZ .22 rimfire barrels are noted to be "tight" at the muzzle and this rifle didn't disappoint. I needed to lathe turn the end of that spud down a few thousandths of an inch so I could bore sight this setup for sighting in. Will slug that bore later if only to satisfy my curiosity as to just how tight is is at the muzzle.
Currently, I'm shooting test ammunition at 45 yards to see what the barrel likes and doesn't like. Then test to see if pillar bedding the action will get ammunition to print any better. The barrel checked out to be free floated from the receiver to the end of the forearm.

Premium Member
I can't help but ask--Why didn't you take the bolt out and look down the bore? A colimator has about four times the error as the human eyeball.

Reactions: TMan

Premium Member
I can't help but ask--Why didn't you take the bolt out and look down the bore? A colimator has about four times the error as the human eyeball.
You don't have to ask anything. I don't buy your statement about the collimator (with two LL's BTW), mine works just fine and I'll use it gladly when I need to.

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
Alright guys - let's play nice, as the board rule requires.

Registered
I recently bought a 457 MTR. It doesn鈥檛 shoot with my best CZ 452, but to be fair I need to get the trigger lighter and change scopes still. I currently have a Bushnell Match Pro on it and the center dot is huge when focused to my eye so it鈥檚 not optimal for precision work. It also has less than 250 rounds through it. I intend to give it a fair shake before I decide what to do with it.
I鈥檝e done a lot of bench shooting with .22 rifles the last two years. I recently went to the Lapua test center in Ohio. I鈥檓 down the rabbit hole.
Having said that, last Sunday was the best day shooting I鈥檝e ever had with rimfire bench shooting. I started out at daybreak with 3-5 mph winds. I started with the MTR. I shot ten foulers then shot a 6x5 target at 100 yards With SK Standard Plus. It was acceptable, but I鈥檓 sure I can do better with the right conditions and modifications. I was having a hard time holding still after two cups of coffee too.
C76E971C-6B7B-4C84-9C88-DA3136C7BA0B.jpeg

So then I pulled out my flagship CZ 452 American and the lot tested Center X. My previous best 6x5 target was a .75鈥 average with a random lot of CX. The first target wasn鈥檛 anything to brag about for that gun. When I started the second target it started sprinkling and the wind steamers were barely moving. The second target was a new PB. By the time I started the third target it was raining moderately and the wind streamers were completely still. For whatever reason I tried some old beat up box SK Standard Plus. I鈥檝e never really had any luck with that stuff like some people do. It out shot the lot tested Center X and gave me my best 100 yard target ever. I have video of driving to retrieve the soaked target in the (by this time) hard rain. I guess my point of this part of the post is that as the conditions got better so did the targets. I think that鈥檚 the bigger factor when shooting at 100 yds.
B39BA97C-B320-4160-AB44-122CC1A0F30F.jpeg

I have since ordered a better scope and lighter trigger spring for the MTR. I also ordered a flat benchrest fore arm adapter for the 452. I can鈥檛 stop chasing the rabbit.
980496D8-AE0B-4258-BD8C-1DD66AE596E2.jpeg

Premium Member
Play nice? I wasn't looking for any direction on what to do, just mentioned that I use my collimator to bore sight .22 rimfires and, that's the way it will be done on my bench.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts