Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CZ 457 training rifle. Today I zeroed the iron sights at 25yards and shot a ten shot group of 7/8th in. I do not know what to expect for iron sights, all my 22 have scopes. What group size should I expect.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
How good are your eyes? How still can you hold? How smooth and steady is your trigger finger? How good are your scoped groups? Why don't you scope that rifle and compare?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eyes are good, I used a rest , group size for my scoped 22 at 50 yards is .25 in with match ammo. I purchased this rifle to shoot iron sights only.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
I'd say you're off to a good start.... there are iron sights, and then there are iron sights. Buckhorn and blade doesn't compare to a well made peep with a fine, shaded bead up front.... if you want to shoot better with iron sights, get the best iron sights you can afford ;)

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
When shooting iron sights many people use different techniques in how they sight. For target work I’ve found I get my best results using a flat blade front sight and use a 6 o’clock hold on the target. A rear peep or square notch will work much better than a buckhorn type rear sight. Back when I shot competition with rimfire guns I found that an iris type a Merit aperture attached to my shooting glasses made a very significant difference in group size.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
NSB is defining how the Army taught us to sight the M1 rifle . Flat top front post with peep rear, 6 o'clock hold on center bull. Shot "expert' with that setup, but always disliked the rifle.
The aperture attachment on shooting glasses is a real benefit. Sharpens the front post (what you're supposed to be looking at) and lets the rear peep center itself Try it - you'll like it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I shot service rifle in the 90's, I concluded that minute of angle was as small as I would ever be able to shoot consistantly with iron sights due to the physical size of the photo recepters in the human eye. On occasion, I did shoot smaller groups but not consistantly. That was with milspec match peep and milspec frount post as required by NRA rules at that time. I was classified as expert.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Trainer has some of the best open sights available, they are simply awesome. But a peep will likely improve group size. I shoot mine offhand, so this is fairly acceptable for my needs:
at 25yards and shot a ten shot group of 7/8th in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a new 457 Trainer. I’ve only shot it once with a scope on it. I was waiting on bigger targets in the mail. It seems to be very accurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts