Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased a CZ 527 American chambered in .22 Hornet. It's a beautiful rifle but after shooting about 150 rounds of factory ammo (single feeding rounds into the chamber as is standard practice when shooting for accuracy) I was wholly unimpressed with the rifles performance. Blaming the poor accuracy I decided to work up some hand loads. Using the fire formed brass I neck sized the cases, uniformed the flash holes and trimmed all cases to the exact same length. I then weighed each case, bullet, and powder charge and separated them into 5 round matches lots. I also made sure to seat the bullet .002" off of the lans. All said and done the loaded rounds were all within .0005" In length from ogive to case head and all matched lots weighed within .05 grains of each other. Happy with my workmanship I headed to the range. The rifle performed better than it had but wouldn't throw a 5 round pattern under 4" @ 100yards. Hardly acceptable in my book. A bit disappointed I loaded up the 5 round mag and figured I'd just plink off what I had left and consider dumping the rifle. To my surprise the first 4 rounds, when fed from the mag, all grouped under 0.35" @100 yards, the fifth round (now with an empty mag) threw about 1" outside the group. I shot 3 more groups with similar results. I figured maybe the rifle had just settled in so I shot 3 groups, now single feeding them as before, and again the rifle wouldn't pattern under 4" @100 yards. Switched back to feeding from the mag, 4 rounds in one hole last round flier. I can't figure out what is casing the rifle to do this! It's driving me insane lol. Anyone had this kind of problem before and found possible remedies or have ideas as to a possible cause?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cz 527

I shoot a 527 in .204 and it consistantly shoots .4 inch groups. Your problem must be the barrel or the bedding. I really can't believe even bad bedding would let the rifle shoot that badly. I would call the company or hav a gunsmith scope the barrel and run slug through to see if there are tight spots. It shouldn't shoot that badly with any ammo. Good luck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
CZs are "controlled feed" actions and the ones I have shot do not have a "radius stoned" extractor claw that would facilitate single loading with an easy "snap over" of the extractor claw.

My friend's "international CZ .22Hornet specifies in the owners manual not to single feed,,,"magazine only" and the one time he tried to single feed the pressure required to close the bolt convinced him not to.

I could suspect that the extra pressure and force on one side of the cartridge necessary to snap the extractor over the rim may be "misaligning" or some how effecting how the round enters and seats in the chamber. Possibly even deforming the "fragile" case and effecting accuracy and repeatability. This applies especially to a rimmed cartridge and may not be the case with a rimless.

My .22H is a Winchester #43 [24" Bbl] and Jimmy's is a CZ international with a 19.5" Bbl

They both shoot consistent sub .5" 5 Shot groups with our pet load: WW Brass / #1210 Sierra 45gr. / 12.8 grains LilGun and WW Small Pistol primers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would tend to think you are right on those points but the problem persists even if the round is fed from the magazine one at a time. If the mag is empty, the gun won't shoot worth a hill of beans. So long as ammo is on the mag, it's a marvelous tack driver.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
the hornet headspaces on the rim, and without the rim sliding under the extractor and being put into the chamber by the bolt, it might end up with a "canted" cartridge.

I have the same gun, and it is beautiful with a great trigger. I haven't done much shooting with it but I have a bunch of ammo to try in the coming months. I'll keep your situation in mind when I go to try my new loads.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would tend to think you are right on those points but the problem persists even if the round is fed from the magazine one at a time. If the mag is empty, the gun won't shoot worth a hill of beans. So long as ammo is on the mag, it's a marvelous tack driver.
So…you are saying that you were feeding a single round "from the magazine"? Not chamber loading?

Sounds like it may be a magazine follower/lip issue… in that the last round is misaligned some how when picked up by the bolt and extractor.

Or….. could the "empty" follower be interfering with the bolt alignment??? That sounds far fetched. But your magazine…… last round feed seems the common denominator.

Don't suppose you have more than one magazine and the same problem persists with both?

I know from Jimmy that they aren't cheep [$45.00 if I remember correctly] he just wanted a second one, don't recall that he had accuracy or feed issues.

Might want to get in touch with CZ on this one and have them replace the mag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a second mag unfortunately. What I had done is after having accuracy issues when single loading rounds directly into the chamber, but finding the rifle to be very accurate when feeding from a fully loaded magazine, save only the last round which is always a flier, I decided to single load from the mag to see if the issue is that the gun won't shoot well with the mag empty, or if it is just not shooting well when single loading directly into the chamber. I found that it shot equally poor when single loading into the chamber or from the mag. It will only shoot well when there is at least one round on the mag. I did pop the action out of the stock, I found it to be a bear to get back in. The mag well/trigger guard doesn't seem to want to seat evenly into the stock and against the action. If I tighten down the rear action screw the front action screw won't tighten enough to stop the barreled action from wiggling quite a lot in the stock. If I tighten the front action screw first the trigger guard rises in the rear by almost an inch. The only way to get the trigger guard/ mag well back in and have the rifle lock into the stock as it should is to tighten the front action screw until snug then apply a bit of pressure to the rear of the trigger guard, typically there will be a fairly loud pop and the guard will sit about 1/4" high above its inlet and the rest have to be taken up by tightening the rear action screw down. I don't really like that and it doesn't seem right to me. I must have taken it in and out about a dozen times to see if there was something I was doing wrong but it's the same every time. I wonder if the issue is bedding related? Even at that it seems a strange thing to have such tight groups dependant on weather or not there is a round on the mag. Never seen a bolt gun behave that way.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Try this step- keep the mag full but don't load from it. Continue single feeding a round into the chamber and closing the bolt on a full mag. Just a guess, but the spring tension of a loaded mag may be putting pressure on the action in places we wouldn't think of. I single load my 527 K-Hornet alot and have not experienced this issue or failure of the bolt to close. My extractor claw is radiused to "snap" over the rim and it was bought new that way in 2003. I can't even venture a guess on the cause of your problem, just suggesting one step in a process of elimination.

Allen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I case anyone wanted to see exactly what I was talking about. The first image is of a group fired from a full mag. Four rounds in a nice tight group, last round a flier about an inch to the left. The other pic is of the best group the rifle fired when single loading. It's about 1.75" to 2". By far the best of the single load groups.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Based on your description of trying to re-install the barreled action and mag-well in the stock, I think Alan may have hit on the problem….

There should be no pressure or "springing" issues with a properly inletted or bedded action. And it certainly shouldn't be difficult to reassemble.

You've got a pressure point some where that is releasing/changing when you get down to 1 round or an empty mag..

If it were my rifle I'd be calling CZ for a return authorization to fix the inlet and bedding.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
That's a sure-fire sign of improper bedding probably by not having the bottom metal, action and magazine latch spring seated just right.

Your rifle will last MUCH longer by feeding from the magazine. It drastically reduces wear on the extractor and the extractor collar.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
I did some experimenting.... By single loading, the extractor is not fully snapping over the rim until the rifle fires and blows the case back against the bolt face. My rifle is chambered for K-Hornet and wont do that on fireformed reloads but will every time with factory ammo.
Loading from the magazine is better than de-burring the edge of the extractor so it can't do it.

Reactions: michaelcj

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have you tried loading a single round from the mag but dropping the empty magazine before you fire the cartridge? Just for comparison.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My CZ 527 Varmint

has always been very accurate and it is chambered in .204R. The bedding is perfect and I think if I were you I would be sending your's back to CZ for repair. Also, I have always shot mine single shot with a Calhoon single shot adaptor and have never had any issues with it in that mode. Something is for sure not right with your rifle. Good luck and hope you get it fixed. John

·
Registered
1 Posts
CZ Hornet

I have owned several 527's and have found that free floating the wood stocked guns & bedding the area on both front & rear of recoil lug seems to be the ticket for consistent performance. Based on some of your issues with re-assembling the stock It could be that you are missing the rear steel pillar that CZ uses over the rear screw or you may not be getting everything aligned properly for the magazine release clip and tab on the side of the mag well box. This can be a pain at times to get correct - to the point where you may break the steel spring clip. I think if you get the bedding correct and have no tight spots from wood to the mag well metal, you should see a dramatic improvement in accuracy. I believe one of the previous posters may be onto something with trying to single load with a rimmed round like a hornet. I have not had a rimmed cartridge in a 527, but his thoughts seem plausible. Good Luck.

Terry

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here's your Fix- "Original Bob Sled" CZ-527-S

You already know your problem, so does CZ... It's the extractor as others have identified for you. I also have the 527 American in .22Hornet, also a 527 Varmint in .223. I shoot both by feeding single shot, with excellent accuracy, both will shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards off a rest, the difference ???... Go to the CZ web site & purchase an "Original Bob Sled". It is a single shot adapter that replaces the factory clip, allows you to simply place your single round on top of it & properly feed the round into the chamber in proper dimensional/angular relationship with the extractor. You will then be able to fire single shot with the accuracy you are currently seeing from clip feed. Make sure you order the correct size, it's the CZ-527 S
It S/B in After Market Accessories, you may need to call CZ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My CZ 527 22hornet shoots perfectly from a James C. single shot follower, or from the magazine (including the last round). You've spent enough time and wasted enough $$ on this now, just call CZ-USA and have them call tag it for you so that you can ship it back to them for repair and testing. Its inconvenient, and you may even need to send it back more than once - but don't settle. These are great rifles and they shouldn't want anyone out there having an experience like yours with their product. They'll stand behind it for you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Craiger1987: My Son and I both shoot a CZ 527 22 Hornets and we shoot them a lot . And our rifles shoot extremely well, under a 1/2 inch at 100yds. I talked to a gunsmith at CZ in Kansas City, and also the Manager of CZ`s Custom Shop in Warsaw Mo and they both warned us not to single load our CZ 527 22 Hornets. Because in their words doing so would damage our rifles. The Calhoun single shot adapter clip works very well if you like to single load you CZ 527 22 Hornet. The people at CZ in Kansas City are really great to deal with, and very helpfull. Their phone number is 913-321-1811 call them they will help you. Our best Load for both of Our rifles is 11grs of IMR4227 with a 35gr Hornady V-Max bullet, at about 2860 fps. You have a great little rifle don`t give up on it, because CZ will make it right.
ken

1 - 20 of 30 Posts