Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have one of these? If you do, I'd like to know what caliber you have it in and you overall impression of the rifle as it came from the box. Are the express sights regulated properly? Does this have the reciever machined for scope mounts? How is the trigger?, I see it is advertised as a single set trigger. Does the stock on this rifle lend itself to scope use? How does it handle the recoil? Any feeding issues? Accuracy? Let me know all the good AND bad of it. I've seen some posts on this in the past, but I can't seem to locate them using the model number.

Thanks,

Steven

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I have shot two CZ rifles at the range as well as taken one of them apart during our visit. There isn't another production rifle on the market that can stand toe to toe with this rifle.....bare none for the price asked! I ould find nothing but good things to say about these rifles. I don't think a man or women could go wrong buying one in any case.

The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the stock that comes with it, I prefer a wood stock like what is on the Winchester model 70's......they help reduce felt recoil much better. The rifles were in a 300 Win mag, and the .416 Rigby caliber. Both shot very well out of the box. The 300 shot a 1.46 inch group with cheap Winchester factory ammo and 3 x 9 Leupold scope on top. The Rigby shot.....OUCH! some excess muzzle rise due to stock shape I figure. It shot 3.67 with iron sights and factory ammo from the bench at 100 yards. This gun is NOT FOR THE BENCH OK> I don't see as good as I did 30 years ago! I have one of these on order myself, can't wait to start a new project. PS the ammo was a $120 dollars a box.

The rifle is a class act, don't let the price mislead you or anybody else. I love the iron Express sights it has on top, real nice indeed. A blind man could see these sights to shoot LOL. To much drop in the stock for this hunter, no big thing that can't be fixed. The workmanship was very good all way round. It is the Mauser action with big claw extractor and control fed. It don't get no better. It's not as classy and smooth as a Weatherby, but heck, neither is the price.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2Bits,
This is just the sort of info that I'm looking for. I'm a Mauser/M70 fan, so I don't disparage the rifles at all, or think less of them because of the cost. I was thinking about the .416, but as you mention, the cost of catridges and brass is unreasonable. I think the .340 is bad enough in this area. Being that my potential use for the rifle would be 5-150 yds, I don't feel I'd be handicapped with the .458. It can be loaded down and is readily available in loaded rounds and component form. The nostalgia of the .416 is hard to deny, and to be truthful probably wouldn't require many pieces of brass, but a buck and quarter for 20 rounds seems obscene unless they kill, clean, and cook the critter for ya. I'd imagine the Federal rounds are a good deal cheaper than what was previously available.

I've fired a Ruger in .416 Rigby and understand what you're talking about. I could manage it standing, but did'nt have the seeds to shoot it off the bench. This is a case where I believe that discretion is the better part of valor. The Ruger was easy to hit clay pigeons with at 75 yds offhand with the factory sights. I was 3/5 at 125, which is better than I do with most scoped rifles. With a .416 it's hard to tell if you're actually hitting the pigeons or merely covering them with dirt until you go down to replace targets.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
With all of these new ultra-humongous magnums being introduced, can you make .416 brass from one of them?

Or turn the belts off of some of the big Weatherby cases (assuming those can be found)?

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
NAP, I like the 3position safety a bunch.....However on the Ruger rifle (Safari .416 model) the 3 position safety is too small for my liking OK.

Getting back to the CZ .416 model.......Don't let those high dollar cost of factory shells scare you away from the gun!
I buy my brass from Huntingtons and it ain't near as costly as one might think.

I too have a .458 Winchester model 70, which I had rimmed out to the .458-Lott chambering.....Ouch again! Well it didn't cost me but $35 dollars to rent the rimmer, so why not. I have the best of both worlds. I just don't forget that recoil pad from PAST anymore when shooting the rascal.

I find that the 450 grain Barnes X bullets work best in this .458 magnum of mine. Great penetration for darn near anything you might take to hunting. I practice with it using the 350 grainers.

I'll say again that for the money invested in a big bore rifle, you just can't beat the cost of the CZ and workmanship is very good.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
2Bits,
upon further research, I see that the .416 will be marginally more expensive to shoot than my .340 There is Norma brass available for about $1.75 a pop. This sounds like a better way to go than the .458 as the cartridge appears to be far more versatile to me.

What is even more dangerous than that....Cabelas has one in stock for $579. I'm afraid if I go "look" at it, it will end up in my truck.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,159 Posts
kciH,
Sounds like a trip is in order!:D

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Nap I just knew you would come to your senses sooner than most expected. Yep, sounds like a trip is in the making and the Big Ole predators best be taking note of that Rigby coming down the road soon. I know your going to Love that Rigby~

I am going to be making a big bore out of mine when it gets here, I think the caliber is a 470 Magobo (whatever) shoots a 500 grain bullet at 2500fps. I will shoot it at 2400 and keep less pressure from developing in the heat of the day when hunting. I already have the .475 barrel to go on it in a 1 in 14 twist. Will be using an oversize Winchester type wood stock on the gun.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,019 Posts
What's with you guys?!

Are you sadists, or just comtemplating suicide by being beat to death?!

My old bones have seen enough of them shoulder whompers to regard the 7 Dakota and 7 Rem Mag enough punishment for anyone - 'course, still shoot the Marlin 1895LTD1 in 45-70 some times.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kdub,
I'm most likely going to be moving to AK in about 18-24 months. I'm taking a trip there next year also. This is just a little something I figure I should have the kinks worked out of before I go. Probably take the barrel back to about 22" if it won't screw up the sights.

·
24,019 Posts
Yep, that would explain it - !

Getting into the brush where one of them big, mean bears might be residing would call for the biggest bore you could get your hands on. Those big moose need lots of weight to hold them down, also.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I don't think I am a Sadist, like you mentioned, but I like all the firepower I can muster when it comes to facing things that might want you on their menu while dining.:D

Besides I still got 3 cases of GERITOL to take care of my aching body if that need be the case.:D
Now cut that with a little Jack Daniels and I gurantee you won't feel any pain afterwards.:D :D

·
24,019 Posts
Still remember my first magnum rifle (presently residing in the bottom of a lake in Canada since 1964, but that's another story) a Winchester Mod 70 in .300 H&H. Not much of a magnum by today's standards, but with that pre-war drop in the stock, the steel butt plate and having a Lyman Alaskan scope with a Lichart 6X varmit adapter on it, my shooting form on the bench was such that I took a pretty good beating when shooting it.

Used to come home with a ringing headache and tell my wife about the great time I had at the range!

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Kdub.....You want to finish that story about the magnum and the bottom of the lake? Fear NOT! Somebody I am sure can top your experience no matter how bad it might sound.

Let me take a guess OK. You were moose hunting and you saw this giant of a bull just around the bend, the current was picking up and you weren't going to have time to pull into the shore with the canoe right? So you stood up and put the crosshairs on the bull, as it was walking out of the water towards the deep woods. Now your finger easy does it, pulling the trigger.....then all Heck broke lose! You lost your balance as the canoe started to tip. Your eyes lost track of the moose and the gun flipped out of your hands and overboard as you tried to sitdown quickly and reach for the paddle at the same time. How am I doing so far?:D

·
24,019 Posts
After much deep thought, think I'd better list this in the "Hunting Stories" forum so all can profit by my mistakes. You have the part right about being in a canoe - that's the main part of the story, 2 Bits!!

·
Banned
548 Posts
Kcih, I have a CZ-550 Safari mag, in .458 win mag. I shoot mainly Saeco 465 gn, gc hardcast. At about 2300 fps.
I normally shoot 30 rounds off the bench before I want to shoot something else.
Then I switch to the 300 ultra, then the handguns.
I do not understand when people trash talk the european stock, I find it very user friendly. I have been shooting with a 4X scope. But I will be taking it off, mostly for the purpose I got it. Close up and very personal for the big critters.
I thought I had a job in North Idaho, but that fell through.
But Aleyska 338, he is working hard on me to get up there somewhere. too many pictures, and stories.
Lapua brass for the 416 Rigby is high, but you can load it a good 15-20 times or more if you anneal the cases.
also look into military surplus powders. I am about to make an order. $64.00 for 8 pounds of powder the same as H-335,and $3.00 pound for the same as H-870. This is new military NOT pull down.
For 5-150 yards you can't go wrong with the .458 win mag. easy to handload, and easy to buy off the shelf.

John A.K.A. Halfbreed

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John,
I appreciate the input on the matter, not that it matters, because it's on order already. :) I like Mausers, and I like the numbers on the Rigby, it seems a very versatile rifle, albiet a little heavy. I'm not really sweating the brass cost because I don't really see shooting more than 20 rounds from the thing at a stretch, so I'll only need 40 pieces of brass, but I might just go ahead and get 100 pieces for the discounted price. I'm thinking about the RCBS 350gr FNGC for a plinking/practice bullet for this round. I don't have the tolerance to shoot guns like this off the bench, it's too much for me to handle at this time, with full power loads at least. I most likely would leave it without a scope, unless I could find some quick release mounts for the CZ action with maybe a Leupold 1.5-5. My first order of business will be to see the feasibility of taking a little barrel off the beast and having a wonder finish put on it. If I don't like the stock, I've got the laminated or McMillan route to take on that.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Kcih, sounds like you have thought this one out for a while.
With rounds like these, that is smart.
I think that with a litle shooting you will find this rig quite easy to shoot. ENJOY

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
CZ 550 Safari Magnum Rifle in 458 WinMag

I'm a brand new member and this is my very first post.

I wish to convert my new CZ 550 Safari Rifle in 458 WinMag to 458 LOTT, but need help locating the RIGHT chamber conversion reamer and details. Perhaps 2bits, or anyone else out there can provide me with info for this conversion. I assume I can do it myself. Just after I got my CZ, they decided to bring it out in 458LOTT. Please don't ask me why I want more recoil, I'm just a gun nut. I reload for my 458, so I have wide latitude in ballistics selection, but if I want, I have the option of going "balls out". Thanks for any assistance!

Ron Card

[email protected]

Charlotte Court House, Virginia

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I can't help you with your query, but my hat is off to you, you ARE a glutton for punishment! :)

I must be a bit of a puss(y cat), the .416 Rigby is ENOUGH for me. :)

Let us know how it goes, perhaps I'll get one to let visitng friends shoot. Maybe even my boss! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts