Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in need of a new rifle and would like some opinions. I've been hunting with a rem 700 bdl 300. win with a tasco 3x9 for the past 20+ years. Needles to say a new rifle and scope is overdue.

The rifle will be used for deer and elk primarily. I was pretty much set on a browning until I came accross the cz ultimate hunter. Anyone have experience with either of these rifles.

Any input would be appreciated..

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I don't own a CZ 550 Ultimate Hunter, but I do own two CZ 550s. I have owned Browning A-Bolts in the past and they are also fine rifles. Two things I prefer on the CZ are the shorter barrel 23.6" vs 26" and the very fine single set trigger. I doubt you'd be disappointed with either, but I'd give that CZ a good hard look. :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
What is wrong with your 700 BDL??? Man, I'd just put some better glass on it and keep shooting it. Zeiss of even Nikon Monarch. 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag is a fantastic rifle. You just under-glassed it with the Tasco. IMHO.

But as far as your question, I'd have to go with the CZ for reasons sighted above and because it shoots like a rifle should. But whatever rifle you go with, I'd advise a dramatic upgrade in rifle scope for you. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. guys. I know the scope is a real P.O.S. I was 13 when I bought the rifle and I still remember the guy at the gun store telling me that the scope may crack from the recoil as he was cutting it out of the plastic packaging " you know the kind they package cheap toys in to hang on the display racks".

At the time it was all I could afford.

As for keeping the rifle it's in pretty rough condition, it has processed 1000's of rounds over the years. As young not so smart teenagers we would get a little carried away with the reloads.....i.e it has some serious wear and tear........

Having said that, a new rifle and scope is more of a want than a need.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Taz---I think we understand "the want"... hahaha

either rifle you mention is quality and you will be well served.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have to be honest i've never shot either of these rifles, but am curious to the above post of wanting the .300wm in a 23.6" barrel vs. a 26" barrel, why would you want the shorter barrel? I understand the logic for a hunting rifle in tight situations, but I thought the overall accuracy and shootability especially in the .300wm would go to the longer 26" barrel. My Rem. .300wm has the 26" barrel, I love the weight distribution with that longer barrel, personal preference, but I would think the shorter barrel would be harder on the recoil, maybe not. I guess that is something one needs to consider when looking at these two guns, especially in the .300wm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts