Shooters Forum banner

D- for Cabelas!

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  hunter177 
#1 ·
Just got back from picking up two receivers from cabelas and needless to say I am not happy with what happened.

Here's the story.

I purchased a receiver off of GB and the guy decieded to send me an extra receiver that might not be usable. I originally had it sent to a guy across the river (ND) to transfer to me.... long story, we had to ship it to a MN FFL. so I called around and I talked to the guys at Cabelas and asked what a transfer fee was for TWO receivers, $35, and I asked twice to make sure that it was $35 for both, not a piece. I agreed to have the other guy send it to cabelas, and gave him $20 for his trouble.

I went to cabelas today to pick them up. When I showed up I filled out all the paper work, and saw a note that said "$35 per serial #" I asked about it and said that it's suppose to be $35 for both as discussed. Long story short, after talking to the manager (I used to work in the gun dept at this cabelas a couple years ago by the way) that I worked with in the past at that store to figure it out. She proceeded to say, "that's the way it is we can't change it", ........... and about 10 minutes later, she gave me $15 off the $70+ tax charge. I'll give her credit for that, but still.... I was felt feeling hopeless, upset, angry, dissapointed, and mislead all at the same time.

The kicker to the whole thing is that I was stuck, ether pay up, or forget about the recievers, forfeit them and the money I paid for them.

So I had to pay $60 for their transfer fee, and the $20 I paid the other guy.... $80... for two bolt action receivers! The guy I normally go to is in my home town and he charges $15 for up to two at a time.......

I got ripped off, had cabelas make me feel like crap and learned a valuable lesson..... stick with my regualr guy and Cabelas ain't what it use to be. They use to care about customers, now it's a corporate company that is just out to please it's shareholders. (which I have a tiny tiny tiny share of)

Just left me dissapointed......

See less See more
#2 ·
I tried selling Cabela's my Winchester M62A one time. It is all original and the finish is 98%. Bluing is magnificient and the stock still shines. Long story short, the appraiser told me to get it out of his store, to not insult his intelligence. He accused me of having the rifle reblued and the stock refinished. I was left feeling insulted. I used to spend a couple thousand with them every year. Not another penny! Not when there is a Gander Mountain and a Dick's Sporting Goods stores much closer to me. HE felt insulted? Gollygeewillikers, I sure am sorry about that! :mad:

#3 ·
That's the trouble with the spoken word; it can be denied and unproven. Did you get a name from the person that told you $35 for both? If so, was that revealed at the transaction? Even if, it's as simple as a mistake on the phone going against store policy. They did almost 'split-the-difference', though.

Sh-- happens, and now you still have choices to make about where you do business. From my perspective, $35/SN is a good deal for transfers, but I do understand the let-down that accompanies expectations vs reality.

#4 · (Edited)
I understand store policy too.. I worked there for 2 years in the gun dept. $35/per is expensive around here, with $20 for up to two being the closer to the norm. The manager I talked with use to be one of my co-workers and friends, but I have not talked with her in a few years. She knows I am honest, so it doesn't matter who told me, she knows they told me, just couldn't do anything about it. That was another thing too.. I choose Cabelas because they told me their price $35 for both, but once they recieved it and told me $70 I no longer had a choice, they recieved it and needed a fee no matter what they did with it.

I know she is following store policy too, but when I worked there, customer satifaction was key, and if you put up enough of a fuss politely, they would usually take care of it and everyone would be happy. No more........ oh well, and you are right lesson learned.

#5 ·
huh? Sorry to hear that.

I got ripped off, had cabelas make me feel like crap and learned a valuable lesson..... stick with my regualr guy and Cabelas ain't what it use to be. They use to care about customers, now it's a corporate company that is just out to please it's shareholders. (which I have a tiny tiny tiny share of) Just left me dissapointed......
I had a horrible experience with them after a year or too of super service. I had a line in my signature that said boycott Cabela's. They never made it right. I paid good money and never got my stuff and had to have my card company help me fight :mad: It took a long time to get my money back.
D - for Cabelas!......
I would have said F+ LOL. Today it is buyer beware for sure.

#6 ·
I learned about Cabelas a long time ago, when they shipped me a fishing rod that was broken upon arrival. They gave me a lot of grief about it, originally telling me I'd have to go after the shipping company (UPS) or file an insurance claim. I eventually got in touch with someone who made it right, but not until I started yelling and making it into a much bigger deal than it had to be. I haven't ordered anything from them, or been to one of their stores, in at least 10 years.

BassProShops, on the other hand, mailed me 2 rods one spring and before I could even use them for the first time, I accidentally closed the tip in the door of my truck. I called them up and told them what happened. For the price of shipping the broken rod to them, they replaced it, even though they knew it was my own stupidity that broke it! I'll stick with BPS, Gander Mtn. and local shops. Cabelas can go out of business, for all I care.

#7 ·
I think it depends on who you get on the phone on a given day. I brought a Bass Pro boat and motor through one of their dealers twenty years ago, the engine didn't perform like I thought it should. The dealer retreated behind "this is what you ordered" and I made many, many phone calls to BP. I finally got a design engineer and found out the problem, they should not have sold the boat with that engine on it. Moved my outdoor business to Cabela's, never a problem with them. Recently tried to contact Bass Pro to get a wheel for their trailer, and got no response. It appears to be a unique lug pattern and I cannot get them to respond in any way, if it ain't in their catalog, you can't get it. So my experience is just the opposite, but I fear that all companies are getting filled with folks that follow the computer screen and common sense or a sense of fair play or standing behind what they told you, are gone forever.
It's a sad commentary on our good old USA!

#8 ·
Whated to show a friend the difference between a Vaquero and a New Vaquero.
At Cabela's.
Both used 12 inches apart.
Me:Could I see the V and NV......
Bozo:New guns are at the other counter!
Me:no I mean the NV model(smiling)
Bozo: NEW GUNS ARE AT THE OTHER COUNTER!
Me: This is a used NV.......(Not smiling)
Bozo: NEW..........
Me: Just humor the stupid customer who is"always right" remember that phrase....and look at the tag on that gun!!!!!
Bozo: Where??????
Me: Right under your nose that you are looking down at me with........(Smiling again)........and then get the store manager.........

#10 ·
I'm feeling a little better about it today, becuase I know if for some reason I purchase another gun there.... I'll get my $20 back.

The sad thing is that when I worked there from 05-07, it seemed to me that making people happy was not a big deal. If someone was unhappy, I usually just did right by them and it was usually something small like $5 or less. It seems that weither it is the person handling the dispute or the store "policies", they are not the same as they use to be and it is at the customers expense.

The good news today is that I found out that the second receiver I paid the extra fee for is useable. That is beside the point though.

Most of the guys that worked there when I was there though are gone, and the one guy left that I know.... knows a **** of a lot more than I and I respect his opinion. The rest of the associates there are not very knoledgeable, and seem to be there just filling a position. It's unfortunate especially in a position like this becuase people are spending money on a product that they will most likely have the rest of their lives, and will pass down to kids and grand kids.

I must say that up to now I have had realatively good experiences with Cabelas.... but the "Store Policy" excuss, in my opinion.... is exactly that.... an excuss. It's the companies responsibility to make sure that their employees are up to date and aware of all of the policies, and it's not my fault that the company failed to properly train their employees.

#13 ·
There was a time when a sporting goods store was mostly a "hunting and fishing" store, but they'd have a few footballs and maybe some other stuff. These days, even in places like GM and Cabela's, there is a much stronger emphasis on apparel and far fewer knowledgeable staff members to help customers with hunting and fishing products. The stores are enormous and I like the selection, but it does feel very impersonal, with little in the way of real expert advice.

#14 ·
I love going in the place, but don't buy firearms from there. The sporting goods stuff is neat. The guns in the store closest to me are, by and large, ridiculously overpriced.

#15 ·
I love going in the place, but don't buy firearms from there. The sporting goods stuff is neat. The guns in the store closest to me are, by and large, ridiculously overpriced.
Maybe you didnt get the memo, but apparently MSRP + $20 is now the going rate for all firearms in chain stores (Gander, Cabelas, etc).:rolleyes::D

#16 ·
On the rare occasion I have found good deals there on firearms. Just picked up a TU-90 for $110+ tax. A copy of the russian TT-33 in 7.62X25 Tokarev. I don't believe I have ever purchased a new firearm from there though. The only way that seems to pay off is when they have their $150 off a $500 purchase deal, which I never need anything over $500 when that comes around anyways.

#17 ·
Cabela's Complaints

I refuse to deal with Cabela's in Hamburg, PA in the future where guns are concerned. The prices are so high compared to other stores, the Gun Department employees have little to no product knowledge, and they rip you off when selling or trading a gun. A salesman told me a Remington 870 with laminated wood stock was a Cabela's exclusive. I later saw it at Dick's $20 cheaper. I once purchased a used Mossberg 835 at a gun shop near my cabin for $285. When I sold it at Cabela's they gave me $200 for it and a week later I saw it on the used rack with $325 on the price tag, $40 more than what I paid for it! I will say that the rest of the store is good where customer service and knowledge are concerned, it's just the gun department I have issues with.

#18 ·
Cabela's Complaints

I refuse to deal with Cabela's in Hamburg, PA in the future where guns are concerned. The prices are so high compared to other stores, the Gun Department employees have little to no product knowledge, and they rip you off when selling or trading a gun. A salesman told me a Remington 870 with laminated wood stock was a Cabela's exclusive. I later saw it at Dick's $20 cheaper. I once purchased a used Mossberg 835 at a gun shop near my cabin for $285. When I sold it at Cabela's they gave me $200 for it and a week later I saw it on the used rack with $325 on the price tag, $40 more than what I paid for it! I will say that the rest of the store is good where customer service and knowledge are concerned, it's just the gun department I have issues with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.