Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Sig P226 which is my first DA/SA pistol. I'd never thought much of the concept, being a died-in-the-wool fan of SA's carried cocked-and-locked.

Now, having carried the Sig for several months, I'm becoming a convert to the first-round DA concept, and I'm thinking very seriously about getting a DA/SA chambered in .45ACP.

I'm still not all that thrilled about the concept of polymer pistols, and I'd prefer to find something in steel, but basically I'd like input on the various brands and models that are out there.

Looking forward to opinions and experiences. I'd like to keep the price reasonable and certainly under $1000

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
If you like your 226 perhaps consider the 220 in .45 or 245 compact? Here are other steel/alum alloy traditional DA/SA autos
Used Smith model 745/4506 DA/SA models out there (occasonially NIB current LEA overruns).
ParaOrdance has the LDA trigger.
EAA Witness makes a CZ75 copy in 45, same with Magnum Reseach Ind Baby Eagle
CZ97 in .45
Ruger P90 series
Tauras PT945
Vltor Fortis (scheduled for .45, price TBA)(BREN Ten copy)
Zastava EZ (Croatian SIG 220 type)
The Witness, CZ97 and Fortis can be carried Cocked and Locked also.

Polymer framed DA/SA
HK several models
Beretta PX4
FNP-45
Ruger 345
Tauras 845

CD

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really, REALLY liking what I'm seeing/reading about the P220. Just need to find one locally that won't require a mortgage.

Also looking at the Smiths you mentioned.

Have heard good things about CZ's, any specific input on them?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ever thought about the Glock 21. Not a true DS/SA, but might be worth a look.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have owned an EEA Witness 9 MM for a long time and have one in .45 I purchased a couple years ago.I am very impressed with the quality of these guns.If your looking for an all steel SA/DA that can as previously mentioned can be carried cocked and locked if you prefer.For the price you can't go wromg in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
pfoxy,

The SIGs, Smith and CZ all have good reputations. I've never owned the 220 but have carried the 226 down range and briefly owned one 220 but it was in 9x19 with the European heel mag release, that was extremely reliable (Jesse James "Monster Garage" security borrowed it when he was in Iraq in 05'). Did do some reloading for a friend who had a 220 in Germany in 88 in .45. He never had any problems with that gun and later went into Delta. The 220 was first marketed by Browning as the BDA .45 (same gun but with heel release mag)
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=6

The Smith came in several different configurations and sizes. So you have your choice when looking at those. Some are still listed in the catolage.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...ING&attributeValueOperator1=EQUAL&isFirearm=Y

Never shot nor handled the CZ97 but have owned several of its smaller brother the 75 starting in 88'. Still have a 1986 model and have found large amounts of the 75 in the deserts of Iraq fully functional. Seems they are also making 97 BD model "decocker only"
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-97-b/

CD

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone.

I'm thinking my first quest will be for a used 220. I'm not in a rush, I can wait for the right deal.

I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Not sure if these are still available but, various LEs turn these in to SIG for new guns. SIG overhauls the old guns and puts them back on the market as used at affordable prices. Have seen used P220s offered in Shotgun News from various distributors.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, Marshal, I noticed that too. I need to find an outlet. Sig doesn't list a dealer in Maine, but depending on price, it might be worth an FFL transfer.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I bought a SA/DA Ruger P944 (.40) mostly because the safety is hard to accidentally flip in a holster for concealed carry, but, easy enough for one hand if need be. So, around my house I have nothing in the chamber because there is no way for my kids to rack the slide if I dropped it or something, but, if going to a bad area I keep one in the chamber so I can draw and fire with one hand. Like if I was sitting in a car.

Plus, the pull when it is cocked, which can be done with one hand, is very soft, so I hope that means a better and quicker first shot.

The lower frame is polymer, the upper steel. It carries okay concealed on the hip.

·
Banned
326 Posts
I used to have a Ruger P90, and wish I still had it. Im not sure how well it would conceal, but for a truck gun or house gun, it was great. Very reliable, accuracy was good enough for the job, and it didnt cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Timing is everything. Checked the local trader rag last night, spotted a P220 near enough to go look at. Made arrangements to go look at it today.

Hard case, two mags, Hogue grips on it, stock grips in the box, and tritium night sights installed with original sights in the box as well. A little holster wear, but the rest of it is very nice. Not a lot of rounds through it as far as I could tell.

Grabbed it and ran!

Shooting report tomorrow...

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
pfoxy,

Glad you found what you were looking for and that we could help out. Give us a range report sometime.

CD

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took the new toy to the pit.

It cycles everything I feed it, trigger pull is acceptable, puts 'em in a pie plate at 20 yards doing "draw and shoot" drills.

Non-adjustable sights shoot a bit low for my eyes, just have to remember to cover the target instead of sitting it on top of the front sight.

Took the Colt too, must so it wouldn't get jealous. Bought a Blackhawk Serpa holster for it, not too thrilled with that. Fits the Colt Ace conversion poifeck, but it's too tight for the Combat Commander.

Holster I got for the Sig P226 is listed for the P220 as well, but again, it's a tight fit. Comes out nice, but have to look and use both hands to reholster.

·
Registered
978 Posts
pfoxy, That quote on your tag line, is there a book based text from which it can be gotten, I want to use it for something.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got that from an on-line site of "famous quotes". I'll try to find it and see if it is properly cited so you can footnote it if you need to. If I find it, I'll reply to this thread and give you a link.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, I spent some time surfing around, and did NOT find that quote cited to a specific document or speech.

I did find it referred to in several places without attribution.

http://youdontsay.org/Quot2000.htm
http://indiesplace.com/main_quotes.html#oldthinkarms

I also found one site that puts forward a pretty good argument that GW never said it.

http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote_blog/George.Washington.Quote.71A2

Due to lack of proper attribution, I'm inclined to agree that it is NOT a valid GW quote, and will be changing my tagline accordingly.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Could have bought the p220 the other day new for 975 out the door. It has a thinner grip than the double stack p226 and is certainly a great pistol. Almost bought it.... Hope you enjoy yours. Haven't even been able to shoot my p226 yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts