Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a Dakota in 45 Colt. The price is very appealing. Use is for plinking and possibly Cowboy action. All shooting will be with standard 45 Colt or reduced lead loads. Does anyone have exeperience with this brand revolver.

Thanks!

·
Banned
3 Posts
mario said:
I am considering purchasing a Dakota in 45 Colt. The price is very appealing. Use is for plinking and possibly Cowboy action. All shooting will be with standard 45 Colt or reduced lead loads. Does anyone have exeperience with this brand revolver.

Thanks!
Just found this web site this AM. Noticed no one had responded to your mail. First of all I am a gunsmith and I'm also into cowboy action shooting and have been for more yrs than I like to think about. I hope you haven't bought the Dakota. While the purchase price is very appealing, my experince with the Dakota over the last 20 or so yrs has shown me their not worth it. The heat treating of the workings is not the best which leads to too much wear and tear, resulting in the pistol breaking down, or becoming unsafe to shoot, just plain failing.
Cowboy Action Shooting is very demanding on firearms. They must function and they must be safe. CAS is great fun until A firearm malfunctions.
A good friend of mine used a pair of Dakota's for a couple of yrs in CAS. During this time both guns had to be repaired more times than I can recall. Everything from broken springs, worn out Or broke triggers, Front sight falling out,. to just plain overall loosening up.
He ended up with a pair of Ruger Vaquaro's and now just goes to matches and has fun. The Ruger works. If you havent been to a CAS match yet, Go to one and check out what firearms are being used. Over half are using the Rugers. Their priced reasonable, their accurite, and they work. They seldom break. I like to call them Bulletproof.
I own serveral Rugers and I have shoot them in matches. My first choice and what I shoot are Colts (1st generation 44/40) and Winchesters.
In all fairness, I have talked to a couple of shooters who use the Dakota and have had very few problems, at least not that they would admit. Hope this helps.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,959 Posts
Welcome to the board, Cheyenne -

Can always use people with experience and knowledge to help out with the questions that come up. Be sure to check out all the other forums as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts