Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
502 Posts
I wouldn't touch that gun with a ten foot pole and without a lot of insurance.

Damascus gun can be really dangerous, it may come apart on you. I make damascus steel in my smithy, mostly for knife makers and jewelers. As well as Mokume.

Would it qualify, I don't know.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Another point of view: If you can find a copy, take a look at the Autumn 2009 issue of The Double Gun Journal. Look for the article "Finding Out for Myself part XVI by Sherman Bell.
Bell took six old "bargain basement when they were new" damascus barreled SXSs and subjected them to torture testing by firing "proof" loads through their pitted, dented barrels.
Results: NOT ONE of these barrels failed. Six cheapo guns, 54 high pressure proof loads and no failures. In fact, there were no dimensional changes at all to any of the barrels.
Pete

·
Registered
865 Posts
Pete, proves nothing. The fact remains that damascus barrels have been known to rupture at a weakened point, generally but not always due to pitting allowing rust to penetrate the laminations. Would you want to be holding one when the barrel let go? Much better to hang such guns on the wall as relics of a bygone age and shoot something known to be safe. Goatwhiskers the Elder

·
Registered
925 Posts
Much depends on the condition of the gun and barrels. Then what kind of loads are going to put through it. High velocity smokeless, your asking for trouble.
Using the real deal blackpowder another story. Pyrodex/T7 a NO-NO they both develop too high of pressures.

Mild charges of black with regular wads (no shotcups) will not over stress the gun.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
yep

The fact remains that damascus barrels have been known to rupture at a weakened point,
Heard the same thing last night from two fellows at my gun club. Too bad, though, that is such pretty steel.
Pete

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm familiar with the potential hazards of Damascus guns, I was just wondering if there was some rule or provision against usage in cowboy shooting. I have a new hammerless Baikal coach gun (which I prefer to the exposed hammer types), but this Baker's an old beauty. I would'nt shoot with anthing but BP. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts