Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Copy of the emails I sent to both Hornady Ammo and Smith & Wesson.
To: Hornady Factory Ammo Department
To: Smith & Wesson Customer Service

I have become aware of a potentially very dangerous ammo situation.
This morning I read a post in The Ruger Forum in which the poster mentioned that .454 Casull ammo would chamber in his S&W 625 .45 Colt.

Cylinder length compared to loaded rounds? - Ruger Forum
http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002064.html

Having been given one round of Hornady .454 Casull, (for my cartridge collection), loaded with an unknown jhp I decided to see if it would chamber in either of my .45 Colt revolvers. I have an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk and a 1981 vintage S&W 25-5.
The Casull round will not fully chamber in my Ruger.
But it will fully chamber in my 25-5. This Smith has grossly oversized chamber throats and that is the culprit I'm sure. In the case with my S&W the round I have is a bit longer than the cylinder and therefore would hang up on the end of the barrel. But maybe other types of bullets might be just short enough to allow the cylinder to rotate.
I would not ever do this with the thought of firing it, but if two guns of the same maker have this problem, then it could happen.

I thought I might bring this to your attention.

Sincerely:
Joseph Miller
[email protected]

I would hate to see an ammo mix up of this type.
The consequenses could be horrible.

NOTE: After I posted this I realized I had forgotten to take the revolvers headspace into consideration. This revolver will chamber the .454 Casull round, and the cylinder will rotate and the round could be fired. OUCH!!!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, let us know what you hear!

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the response from Hornady;

Subj: FW: Potentially dangerous ammo situation
Date: 10/21/02 2:08:34 PM Central Daylight Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Well thanks for the heads up. Of course we have no control over the chambering by different mfr's but will check to see how things fit.

There has been no responce from Smith&Wesson yet.

·
Registered
471 Posts
To put the icing on the cake, here's what I discovered. When buying components for the 454 casull, I went to a sporting store near bye and wanted to purchase .452 454 Casull bullets hornady XTP 300/250gr , I asked the gent at the store for 2 boxes of each, the gent went and got them, After I brought them home I noticed there was two different types other than the sizes of each, One type had a double canalure with a good tapper and the others had one canalure with a gradual tapper and a higher profile this was in both types 300/250gr's, right then I knew something was wrong, I was confused at this time I double checked the box and at first did not notice anything different about them, so in tern called Hornady and asked whats going on, spoke to Bob Palmer in the techshop, he told me at first they sold the double canalure so you could use them in 45LC&454 Casull, I said ok but why does the second canalure come up too long(col) for the 454, well he reply's, yes your right but in revolvers its fine just closer to the forcingcone, I said in tern, but I am using this in my Rossi Puma 454 Casull and its a lever action. then he said you may have a problem there due to levers are picky with OAL, So I asked about the other box with the gradual tapper and higher profile, he said that box .452 says Mag if you look close to the far right corner, you know what, it did. Just a heads up on these .452 454 casull bullets, the store owner had no idea about this situation until I explained it to him, could you guys imagine what could happen loading casull powder measures in a 454 case with a .452 45LC bullet that seats deeper than the .452 casull bullet, talk about high pressure this could be a problem
if you did not take a measure of your OAL, still shootable due to it being a 45LC length and with in tolerance , using Max loads that are compressed as it is, I could not imagine what the pressures would be with a deeper seated bullet that was made for the 45LC. I guess alway at all times check your OAL(col) this will keep you in the safe zone. So after all this I went back to the sportshop and turned the boxes in for Hornady's XTP 300/250gr .452 Mag bullets with the right profile Aim small hit small. RAMbo.:D:p

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the responce I got from Smith & Wesson.

Subj: RE: Potentially Dangerous Ammo Situation
Date: 10/23/02 1:47:47 PM Central Daylight Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hi,
Thank you very much for bringing this matter to our attention. I will pass it along to the appropriate department.
Thanks,
Kf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts