Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While melting down some old cast bullets the other night, started to dump some I had in a old bullet box into the pot, about that time my Guardian Angel kicked me in the butt and said look in the box. Sure enough a couple of loaded primers had fallen into the box. New policy is take everything out by hand first. Read an article years ago about a fellow casting and had a .22 round fall off a shelf into the casting pot, 20 lbs of lead goes a long ways, not to say about the burns the fellow received. Most of us probable cast outside (per the misses) but make sure theres nothing above the pot that can fall in ie..soda, coffee..etc...
Cast safely and enjoy shooting what you cast.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
217 Posts
gun runner,
Right you are, sir ! A primer, or loaded round in the old melt, would definitely give new meaning to the phrase,"fits like a second skin". It would, and some, not to mention an extremely painful burn, and removal of the skin when peeling off the cooled alloy. Good, practical common sense, along with proper safety procedures can eliminate almost all accidents. Everyone needs to be reminded every now and then of the potential hazards involved in casting.
Jeff
Done properly, casting can be, and is a safe activity. Ya' just need to use your head a little, besides a hat rack, as an old shop teacher use to tell us.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right C-N-B. over the years have seen people with "stupidity Burns" from casting. As my mother, like your shop teacher also had a saying "Use your Head For Something Besides Seperating Your Ears"

Gun Runner

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I can attest to the active primer deal. I didn't get any burns, but it did spatter lead all over the place. This happened to me years ago, when I was young (17 or 18). You can bet I learned my lesson from the close call.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My First Mold I Made Of Plaster Of Paris Using A Rn Krag Bullet.mother Was Quite Mad
About The Lead Plated Ceiling In The Kitchen I Did Not Think It Funny Either The Plaster Wasn't Dry(the Mold) Live And Learn

·
Registered
61 Posts
Been there, done that. Wasn't fun. Don't want to no more. Some parts won't grow back & I'd like to keep mine.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
All of my scap lead, back stop lead, etc. goes into the the big alloying pot prior to being heated up. While the lead is coming to temp. I'm doing other chores. If there is anything like a live round or has water in it, it will do what ever while I'm a good distance away.
Only ingots go into the pot.
Jim

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
to things to not have over your lead pot,add condensation from apipe in the ceiling.Also a drop of sweat.
Frank

·
Registered
12 Posts
plaster of paris

TAWILDCATT said:
My First Mold I Made Of Plaster Of Paris Using A Rn Krag Bullet.mother Was Quite Mad
About The Lead Plated Ceiling In The Kitchen I Did Not Think It Funny Either The Plaster Wasn't Dry(the Mold) Live And Learn
I made some pyramid-sinker molds from pop years ago. It took months for them to dry to the point I could cast without a lot of boiling and an explosion every now and then. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Plaster does not actually dry. Rather, most of the water binds into the calcium sulfate crystals and the resulting hydrated crystals harden. The water is still there, just locked into the crystal structure. Adding heat releases the water, as vapor, from the crystal structures.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I lost a pair of pants while alloying.

back in the days of polyester pants I was out under my patio roof because of seagull unexpected droppings and was using a 50 pound plumbers pot which I do not need any more today and anyway a drop of sweat dropped off my nose and I turned as fast as possible and when the explosive splatter hit those new pants they just melted right through them Ouch my whole side was splattered just from one drop all the way to my ear.

After that I wore a wrap around work smock that we use at work to cover my uniform when cleaning up my firing range and over the years since I have not been hit since.

John Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts