Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Under pressure of suit, the State Attorneys General has disclosed the number of people who have registered their "assault" rifles under the Unsafe Act. NY SAFE Act weapons registry numbers released - NY Daily News Further down in the article they break it down County by County. It looks like Andy is just a teeny tiny little bit short, by about 97+%. 2.3% of the people who own "assault style" firearms registered them, according to this articles' numbers. I had to do the math though. 2.3% sounds too much like a FAIL for them to put it that way.

"Under New York law, failure to register an assault weapon by the April 2014 deadline can be treated as misdemeanor offense, punishable by “forfeiture of the weapon” and up to one year in jail, according to the New York State Police.
Under a different statute, the situation can also be treated as a low-level felony, punishable by up to four years in prison."

So, somewhere just under a million law abiding citizens of NY are willingly in violation, and risk the above consequences, due to a pistol grip or some other nonsense. And probably a million+ who don't own "assault" stuff and support them. Sounds like the Constitution and the Second Amendment are more important than Stupid Acts.

“Many people have been calling for a full repeal of the SAFE Act. It would appear the people have just bypassed the legislature and simply repealed it on their own,” said Tom King, president of the Albany-based New York State Rifle and Pistol Association.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
I hope they can get legislators in that can repeal that law, but Tom King's obviously in way over his head on simple issues like the people "repealing it on their own".

First, if New York is bent on enforcing the law, they won't care how many people are in violation. It's not like there's going to be a house-to-house search for weapons ending with millions of people in court or in jail. Who is this Tom King guy?

New York will prosecute those that come to light under normal day-to-day activities. When the numbers get high or politicians think their voting base is getting squeamish, they'll gradually lower punishments to fines and seizures, and eventually just to fines. Meanwhile, the law and all it's levels of punishment will remain on the books awaiting the day that voters are once again "terrified of assault type guns".

How did this King guy get elected to preside over such an important organization?

Otherwise good post adk59. I just get riled anytime I see someone on our side unwittingly helping out the other.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,578 Posts
I read the quote at the end of the first post (from Tom King) as observing that civil disobedience is in effect, not that the law doesn't need to be repealed. But that's just how I read it.

Reactions: adk59

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
I read the quote at the end of the first post (from Tom King) as observing that civil disobedience is in effect, not that the law doesn't need to be repealed. But that's just how I read it.
Yes, I read it the same way too. I was probably not clear, but what I meant to say was King seemed to be saying that, through civil disobedience, the people had just "repealed the law on their own". It's a silly statement even if he were kidding. As if he believed that a low ratio of registration rate would somehow eventually end in repealing the law. All the legislators will do is enforce the law only to the point they feel comnfortable they're not in danger of losing popular support.

Reactions: Webley

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
So, Mr. Coumo, where are the torrents of blood in the streets because law-abiding people did not register their evil guns as you so demanded? Could it be that good, upstanding, law-abiding folks who own and use their firearms responsibly are not the problem? Oh, I'm sorry, Mr. Coumo. That rationale is too intelligent for you and the thugs with whom you surround yourself...

Reactions: Trent12

·
Registered
472 Posts
The law was so quickly and ignorantly written, that it originally made almost every law enforcement officer in NY a criminal by outlawing the "high capacity " magazine in their service pistol. Then it included a background check requirement for ammo purchases that cannot be implemented. Then the majority of the County Sherriffs came out and said they would not enforce the Safe Act. Now the Gov and his close aides are under Federal investigation for corruption by the U.S. Prosecutor. King Cuomo went from aspirations of the White House, to fear of the big house.

·
Registered
547 Posts
“Many people have been calling for a full repeal of the SAFE Act. It would appear the people have just bypassed the legislature and simply repealed it on their own,” said Tom King, president of the Albany-based New York State Rifle and Pistol Association.
If a law is written and no one obeys it, does it make a sound?

Until NY goes door to door with SWAT their not getting anything form anybody.

Reactions: adk59

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
BUT IF the Law is Still "On The Books" it can be dragged out and Enforced in 'Draconian Fashion' on some hapless Future person 'As an Example to others'. Many State and federal "Laws are still in place Long After their need has Disappeared, yet occasionally we hear of 'Examples being made' by use of such outdated provisions.

One old example were the Vehicle Code laws that required a Flagman with a Red Lantern proceed a 'Horseless Carriage' on Foot to warn horses, Riders, and Wagon owners of it's approach. Not normally enforced but still there as a 'Catchall' that could be added to a Ticket to ensure a Conviction on a questionable Stop.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I hope they can get legislators in that can repeal that law, but

Tom King's obviously in way over his head on simple issues like the people "repealing it on their own".

First, if New York is bent on enforcing the law, they won't care how many people are in violation. It's not like there's going to be a house-to-house search for weapons ending with millions of people in court or in jail. Who is this Tom King guy?

New York will prosecute those that come to light under normal day-to-day activities. When the numbers get high or politicians think their voting base is getting squeamish, they'll gradually lower punishments to fines and seizures, and eventually just to fines. Meanwhile, the law and all it's levels of punishment will remain on the books awaiting the day that voters are once again "terrified of assault type guns".

How did this King guy get elected to preside over such an important organization?

Otherwise good post adk59. I just get riled anytime I see someone on our side unwittingly helping out the other.
Stretch-

Tom King has been an exceptional head of the NYSRPA. Without Tom King the matter would not be in the Courts at all, and the Coumo steamroller would be at high speed by now headed to your State. Tom King was instrumental in getting the NRA involved in these lawsuits. I was at a rally in Albany last year where 10,000 people chanted "We will not comply !!!" We weren't yelling to the cameras for show. We were yelling directly at Coumo. ( who beat feet and hid in NYC during the rally, chicken**** ) We didn't comply. We still won't comply. Thats what King's quote referred to. The civil disobedience here is larger than you think. We are fed up with it all.

As far as prosecution goes, ask the Columbia County DA who refused to prosecute the first violation of the stupid law. The guy had 9 rounds in his handgun. 2 extra rounds. Prince Andy got his panties in a knot over that one, demanding crucifixion of all involved for their insubordination. How dare that prosecutor exercise his right not to prosecute Andy's signature law? Coumo tore into that DA, and he just responded "Its my discretion by law, not to enforce unconstitutional laws, the Governor is out of line." He was correct, Scotus found the ammo limit unconstitutional. That shut Coumo up, and he didn't like it, I thought his head was going to explode. Too bad.

The people did vote out a good number of legislators that supported unsafe. However the people that replaced them are sitting on their hands. That is extremely disappointing, they'll find out how well that worked out for them come next election. They've been warned. I am confident that much of unsafe will be eventually repealed. Right after the pos goes to prison with his two buddies Silver, and that turncoat Skelos. To look at Coumy's face is the face of a man indicted, and doesn't know it for sure yet. The stress is showing.

If you look at the data, most of the people who complied are from the NYC area. Even then its an extremely low number, considering the population. Upstate NY is a completely polar opposite to downstate. In my opinion, they should be a District, like DC, and completely separate from NYS. They can have their problems and their politicians. They can even have Long Island if they want it. Everyone would be happy then. Upstate can go about their business, and NYC can go down their toilet.

We still have a 10 round mag limit here even though Scotus has found unsafe's mag limits "arbitrary". I would like to own a Kel-tec pmr30. I'm not much on plastic guns, but a 30 round 22 mag as a "in the woods survival piece" is inviting. I can't own that handgun in NYS due to the 30 round mag. I'll have one someday. Probably when I move to NH. I hate to scurry away like a bitty little bug though. If I could get over that, I'd be outa here.

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
King Cuomo went from aspirations of the White House, to fear of the big house.
I hope to God he ends up in Ossining. He makes me puke. I find his arrogance and smugness to be most sickening...

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
720 Posts
I applaud the people of NY that would not comply.
The same happened here in CT re: registration of ARs but the compliance rate is between 10% and 15%. Still, that gave me hope that those people are not sheeple.
At first there was anger in Hartford but the State Police will have nothing to do with confiscation; too dangerous.
Instead, charges for non registration will be added to charges triggered by arrests for other violations. If that person is in possession of an effected firearm, it will be confiscated at the time of arrest or soon after when it's location can be ascertained.

·
Banned
287 Posts
Question

I understand that people of NY largely aren't complying with the Safe Act.

Also I guess that if enough people dissent and refuse and if every one of them chooses to go to court and argue the 2nd amendment as defense, that the courts would be swamped and the law basically wouldn't be workable/enforceable.

My question then is this.

After Martial law is declared, do you get the right to go to court to plead your case, or is that 'sufficient grounds' for the feds to round you up & send you straight to the FEMA camps - without trial? Do not pass go - do not collect $200?

What good is the Constitution & its 2nd amendment, when under martial law?

Just curious!. ;):D

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
What good is the Constitution and its Second Amendment, when under martial law?
As I understand it, the Constitution in its entirety is suspended under martial law. Martial law can endure until such a time as he who instituted it believes it can be set aside. Martial law can only be put into place by the White House; I do not believe the Congress can initiate it. The Congress may have the power to bring it to an end, but I'm just guessing on that without actually consulting wikipaedia and discerning for certain. The Framers probably put a caveat into the Constitution to keep a tyrannical Chief Executive from invoking martial law to keep from being prosecuted for his crimes, or to keep said Executive from staying in office once his crimes come to light.

At the time the Constitution was ratified in December of 1791, there was no Twenty-second Amendment. The Framers believed the People would turn out of office those lawmakers who had been there long enough, had been there "too long" or had proven themselves incompetent in office. Sadly now, 210 years has diluted the fervor of the People to keep government honest and working for the People. Seems Dancing With the Stars is more important than is the country we leave to our great-great-grandchildren...

Reactions: Anne Shoots

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
adk59,

I read where most "Assault Weapons" owners in NY (and CT) have not registered their arms per the Safe Act and the CT Law. I have ONE Question: How many assault weapons gun owners Voted in the last two elections? Our Primary Elections turn out 20-25% and Presidential elections turn out 40-45% of eligible voters. IF voters sit on their couches on election day, then they get the government regulations they allowed to affect them! I have voted in every election since I became eligible. I attend local government meetings and ask questions and write letters to my newspapers.

How involved in their governments were assault weapons owners who now refuse to obey the laws they allowed to pass? I think most gun owners now under the SAFE Act were asleep at the switch.

Webley

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Webley,
I live in California, in the City and County of Los Angeles, with a Mailing district name of Sun Valley. My Voting Precinct is majority Registered Democratic Party, The State County, and City governments are Controlled by The Democratic Party. AS a Registered Republican, I DO Vote but my/our votes are Overwhelmed by the Democrats.

I have Lived in this mailing district all my Life and it was my 'Home of Record' during active Military Service.

I am NOT planning any Move from my Home.

So how does a "Minority Voter" who is not considered a member of a Legal 'Minority Group' get heard amongst the Shouting of the members of the "Legal Minority Groups"?

It seems "The Squeaking Wheels" get ALL the Attention and a mere 'mummer' is ignored.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,578 Posts
adk59,

I read where most "Assault Weapons" owners in NY (and CT) have not registered their arms per the Safe Act and the CT Law. I have ONE Question: How many assault weapons gun owners Voted in the last two elections? Our Primary Elections turn out 20-25% and Presidential elections turn out 40-45% of eligible voters. IF voters sit on their couches on election day, then they get the government regulations they allowed to affect them! I have voted in every election since I became eligible. I attend local government meetings and ask questions and write letters to my newspapers.

How involved in their governments were assault weapons owners who now refuse to obey the laws they allowed to pass? I think most gun owners now under the SAFE Act were asleep at the switch.

Webley
You are correct, plenty of gun owners are sitting on their hands and no doubt some of them may have even voted for those who pushed the act through.

Here in Texas even though we have a good state rifle association (who got a lot accomplished in the last legislative session by the way), there are only a tiny fraction of gun owners who are members. Our state association is trying to reach 50,000 members per the last association newsletter. The number of NRA members in Texas is far higher than that, and the number of gun owners much higher still.

Impressive that so much is accomplished in this state by so few, yet sadder still that so few participate in the state association who is so effective in defending their rights. I would guess that the other state rifle/pistol associations have similar low percentages.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts