Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually ever had a primer fire while decapping an unfired case?

Was any damage done? It seems that the decapping die would contain the blast and unnlikely that the blast would do worse than possibly erode the tip of a decapping pin.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I've decapped a total of about 25 or 30, I suppose. I haven't had one go off....yet.... but I'm trying to not make a habit of depriming live primers.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Only real danger would be that the primer exits case's pocket at a pretty good clip. Some presses let the primers fall though the ram, others use a slotted ram that is suppose to channel them into a horse shoe type "catcher" around the press base.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Some guys say to soak the cases in water or oil, or fire them at the range. I just turn the ram so that the primer slot and the shellholder is away from me (to the right) and deprime very gently. I turn my face away just in case. The primers in my press fall through the ram and into a tube.

As I said, not one has popped yet, but I think it's kindly like pulling a bullet or getitng a case stuck - it's probably going to happen someday.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
A gentle, steady push will do it. Never impact them. Would rather not try decapping live primers crimped into military cases. With military, just resize the cases and reload them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
No, and I have done hundreds (many of them crimped military cartridges). I do hold a wadded up rag against the ram so that the primer is caught and doesn't fly around or get lost on the floor.

·
Registered
846 Posts
They make noise thats about all.Loud noise at that,I have got a few in the vacum leaner too.Same deal loud pop.On the 2 or 3 occasions I have had primers go off while decapping ,the primer never flew anywhere.I have also had primers drop into the slot in the ram.They bind inside the press and usually go off when you raise the ram.They make a loud noise and thats about it.It is a bit unnerving though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts