Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from Scotland~

Sitting talking to my wife the other night,when she asked me a question.

" If i was to treat you to a new "BOLT ACTION" rifle what calibre/make would you want "?

Now we are talking Sako or of that quaility, £1000 -ish !

At first i thought this to be an easy question to answer, but then ?? When given some thought ........... Im finding it harder to answer !(who would have thought !)

Fancy a Sako heavy barrel .222 or better still an Anschutz in .222 !

What about a Sauer or Steyer in 6.5x55 or 7mm-08 ?

Then again i always had an urge for a .338 be it .338-06 or the wild cat .338-08 !!

There simply to much choice ! Boy this questions driving me crazy !!! Why did'nt she ask me a nice simple question like "Do you want a beer" ?

Englander :confused:

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
How about an upper scale Sako or Tikka in .308.

Good Caliber to hunt with and plenty of surplus ammo to plink with.

My next bolt will be a Tikka Hunter model.598

·
Banned
556 Posts
I've been kinda eyeing a Sako 75 in triple deuce...

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Englander,

Are you missing anything in your personal battary? Don't know about the Sako but can vouch for the Sauer 90. Have one in 270 Win, Lux model and the action is sooo smooth. For those who don't know the exchange rate that's about $1600 US green backs. Your a lucky man to have a wife like that.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Congratulations on your good fortune! I applaud your unsuspicous nature, the few times my wife has asked me that question, she wanted a new van, bed, carpet, antique, etc. I reckon the "wife tax" in Kentucky is right around 300%.

I have to sound off for the 6.5 x 55. It is an amazing cartridge, that has a great deal of promise. They are amazing accurate, with heavy for caliber bullets and fairly tight rifling. The heavy bullets also have more dynamic penetration qualities, a shooting friend of mine said it best when he said "kicks like a 243, kills like an 06."

The only flies I can find on it, is that production rifles are built with extra long throats, so its difficult to size close to the rifling. I hear this is for varying sizes of surplus military ammunition. I always size mine to fit the magazine, and making sure I have ample neck tension. my last batch of 120 grain sierra matchkings put a couple of groups under a half of an inch. That was a good shooting day.

Enjoy your new rifle, and good shooting.

Steve

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Englander,
You probably have access to a lot of classic used "British Rifles", Mausers an Manlichers etc. Why not a previously owned classic such as a .318 or .333?
You know one of those short light bolt guns with a whole herd (gaggle?) of folding sights on the barrel!

·
Banned
548 Posts
I really like the Sako 75 Finnlight, which is top quality and comes in at an honest 6 pounds, even. The 6.5 requires a long action and half a pound in weight, so I like the 243, 7-08, or 308 in it. The 308 will pop you pretty good in a 6 lb rifle, even though it has many flexibility advantages. The 7-08 with 120 to 140 gr bullets in that rifle would be more comfortable, and have exceptional range. If you are a handloader, its fine for varmints as well.

The most fun to shoot would be the 243, and it is hard to beat for hunters of game not larger than deer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts