Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got to looking at the corn i was putting out.. its got what looks like,, right much pesticide in it..i just assumed deer corn in walmart bags, was just the highest priced feed corn you could buy.. any input..i wonder if its totally safe..slim..

·
Banned
397 Posts
Go to a feed mill and buy your corn. It's cheaper in 100 Lb.
bags. It's also just plain old corn.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Just Sayin'

Down here the Wally-World corn is $5.47 per 40lbs. At the Co-Op that is fairly close to our club it is $5.00 per bushel(54lbs). Given that we all buy it at the Co-Op.

We also mix some soy beans into our feeders. Mine is 1/3 beans to 2/3 corn. This will all meter thru our slingers(feeders) really well.

There have been some rumors going around about the bag corn that Wally-World sells. Have hear'ed tell that it has been irradiated and also that it has been treated in some way that causes the red'ish end on the kernel. My friend that is the sporting goods dept. manager cannot find,nor has he heard of anything "official" that proves or disproves this. He uses Wally-World corn cuz he gets a 10% discount and he has as many deer coming to his plots as anyone else on the club. Course....... some of them have three eyes,smallish wings,and glow in the dark.

Good Huntin' -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think that all field corn will have been treated with pesticides.
Farmers wouldn't feed it to their livestock if it were detrimental to the health of their stock.
Also, deer eat the same corn in the fields.
I agree with other posters that you should buy the corn at the local mill.
Jim

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
I can tell there's not many farmers on this forum. Slim how can you tell by looking if theres pesticide in or on the corn? Corn weights 56 pounds per bushel shelled corn or 70 pounds per bushel ear corn. Discounts are deducted from the price per bushel if certain minimum weights are not met i.e. below 54 lbs. Of course everything varies each year depending on the crops. Grain buyers become very creative in discounts and bonus each year. But the discounts are always against whatever you've raised that year and last years crop thats already sold would get this years bonus.

The reddish ends on the kernels are what's called "bees wings" and is part of the interface between the kernel and cob during kernel development. Wet corn like we had here this past fall will leave lots of this caff around elevators drying Jthe corn. White snow will literally become reddish with the caff.

Just checked the cash price for corn in my home town and its $3.41 tonight with the futures at $4.19 thats $.78 for transportation to Minneapolis. WalMart's getting $7.66 for that same bushel. About the only expense is transportation and packaging.

All corn is not treated with pesticides--only if insects are a problem is treatment initiated. Usual field pest is corn bore while different bugs can infest stored grain. Many farmers will mix malathian in the grain as its elevated into bins for storage to eliminated potential storage problems if storage will be over nine months.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the good advice.. thhe walmart corn here say less than .20 pph alpha toxins.. don t have a clue ..but its why i posted..
i don t hunt deer anymore for now,, due to illness in the family.. but they was a fawn orphaned by some huge wild cat of some sort.. i know ive seen mountain lion here in this area ,though its not acknowledged by the wildlife people..ive only seenum a couple of times in my life.. the foot print made standing after this cat missed a kill in wet mud,,was big as a mans hand minus fingers.. it was not a sliding track but a stand still in the mud track..like i said it looked like he missed his kill.
anyway i nursed the fawn through but the hunter behind me took her too. she couldn t have been 35 lbs give or take ..theres nothing but yearlins out there now..an few of them.. but this hunters lease is fed but a thousand acres of crop land all around it..they ll be more in there next season..thanks again,,slim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts